What is wow'ing you? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Gui Marques

#11: Post by Gui Marques »

Finca Malacara (El Salvador) roasted by Intelligentsia.

I'm pulling this on a Strega, as double ristretto (19g cup per 14g ground coffee, or about 73% extraction in 27 sec, no flush) and it is a treat. It starts with a mix of fragrant and citrus (think apple), and leaves a long lasting almond aftertaste.

EXCELLENT. I had three doubles in a row this morning, and only stopped because I had to work (too much caffeine and no work gets done...).

Gui

TheSunInsideYou

#12: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

jmilliron wrote:Got a bag sitting at home. Labeled as being roasted on the 26th. Any thoughts on when I should dig into it?
Honestly, there's no bad time. I got cherry cola hardcore in the first couple days (2-4), but I felt like it settled a bit after that and the cherry was balanced with molasses and butterscotch from like 5-8. That's about how long I've had it, though; fizzy the whole way through.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

Tag Team Jesus

#13: Post by Tag Team Jesus »

malachi wrote:Square Mile - try the Carmo SO espresso
The description of this one on their site sounds right up my alley. I just realized they are in England though. How long does it take to ship coffee from England to the states? Is shipping a ton? I know there is a whole world out there. I'm just afraid to use it!

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

Intrepid510 wrote:I am glad you really liked that Brown Coffee, unforunately the bag that I brought to the meet up really paled in comparison to the first time I had it. Had I known it was going to fall off so much in two months I would've order some more then instead of waiting. Like you said it was still really good, just not as good. (As an aside, Brown sells greens)

Thanks for other recommendations I will take them to heart over the next couple months while placing my orders.

Yeah I found their site and discovered that I could buy it green as well, but I held off, figuring I had too much stock on hand anyway. Great dang coffee!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Intrepid510 (original poster)

#15: Post by Intrepid510 (original poster) »

Tag Team Jesus wrote:The description of this one on their site sounds right up my alley. I just realized they are in England though. How long does it take to ship coffee from England to the states? Is shipping a ton? I know there is a whole world out there. I'm just afraid to use it!
Considering their coffee prices are not at the top end and the shipping for an international order is not too much either, I'll probably try them at some point. Here is their shipping list, it is pounds so...

.01-0.35kg (1 bag) £5.67
0.36-0.7kg (2 bags £9.95
0.71-1.1kg (3 bags) £15.45
1.11-1.4kg (4 bags) £19.63
1.41-1.75kg (5 bags) £25.30
1.76-2.1kg (6 bags) £29.58

For that 12 ounce bag of espresso it would be 21.40 according to the converter, probably add a dollar or two for the conversion cost. So really not that bad all things considered.

SimonPatrice

#16: Post by SimonPatrice »

TomC wrote:
Another idea is to see if any big names are roasting that Ethiopian Yirg Konga, because it's beyond anything else I've tried lately.
Has anyone tried Handsome's Roasters' roast of the Konga? Since Cafe Myriade here in Montreal sometimes sells coffees from them, I'm hoping they will order some. While I wait, I'll be sipping on Heart's delicious Adulina. I'm drinking it brewed but I just had some of it as espresso today (yes, still at Myriade) and it was really good.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

michael

#17: Post by michael »

the various sweet tooth coffees from ritual, including the current offering

surprised i dont see more people here drinking ritual 8)

jbviau
Supporter ★

#18: Post by jbviau »

Back to Verve, has anyone tried their current offerings? If so, I'd appreciate a non-espresso recommendation. That Santa Ana is gone, I see.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

TheSunInsideYou

#19: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

jbviau wrote:Back to Verve...I'd appreciate a non-espresso recommendation. That Santa Ana is gone, I see.
I can do that for you. The Ethiopian Haile is pretty awesome as a pour over and in the Solo (getting some good use out of that, thanks!), and I think--from what I understand about the Trifecta--that you could get some great cherry-lime nuances with some extra agitation. It is a very sweet coffee. I also have been downing some of the Elida Estate Espresso, which is actually a little TOO intense as a pour over and solo. A few days after the roast date, there was SO much strawberry that it was overwhelming, but it started to settle down after a few more days of rest, and the chocolate started to come through. The Elida Estate that is not roasted for espresso may be better suited for non-espresso (duh!), but either way, the coffee is just a phenomenon of flavor. It was a bit much for me, I think, but definitely worth experiencing.

Enjoy.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#20: Post by jbviau »

Thanks, Dave! Haile was near the top of my Verve wish list, so I think you've sold me [update: order placed]. I've already got some Elida natural on hand (from PT's). Glad to hear the Solo is treating you well.

Back more squarely on-topic, I have to say that MadCap's Summer Solstice is the best all-around coffee I've tried in the past few months. Haven't tasted either of the blend components individually (though both are available--Kochere and Ardi), but they work well together.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias