What is a good, well rounded starter coffee - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
OK31
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by OK31 »

lancealot wrote:Try Saka Top Selection. It's in stock and very good.
Italian doubles are 14 gram doses of ground coffee. they are probably roasted with that requirement in mind. I have found that the Italian coffees do best at 14 - 15 gram doses.

I pull Top Selection at 15 in and 30 out @190 degrees in 25-30 seconds. Good luck in your quest.

Ps: I have the 30 gram shot of Saka in a latte and find it has just as much "punch" as any other medium roast pulled at 18 in / 36 out
Thanks for the suggestion will certainly give it a shot.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by OK31 »

ShotClock wrote:I find that longer ratios can bring out the bitterness in these coffees - especially the ones with more Robusta. The suggestion to reduce the ratio came from here (I think in the big Saka thread), and I found it to be effective. Probably 70% of my shots of Saka went in to milk drinks, and I thought that they were great.

I found that I was down-dosing from 17g to 16g, as the coffee is much less dense than my normal medium roast espresso. Using the EPHQ 14g basket (which is actually sized like an 18g basket), I was pulling around 24g with a lever profile on the DE1 in around 40s - equivalent to 25-30s on a 9 bar machine.

I found that these ristretto shots were incredibly rich and syrupy, and made fantastic milk drinks. My normal milk drink is a cappuccino with around 4oz/110ml of milk, so quite coffee dominant. I don't think the coffee would get lost if a normal 2:1 espresso with the same dose would work well. Straight shots had the same richness and texture, but I found them to be a bit on the bitter side compared with my normal coffees. I believe that some people are adding a small amount of sugar to their espresso for this reason, but personally I'm not a fan.
Thanks, this is helpful. If nothing else 14g will yield a longer bag ha

JEHolloway

#43: Post by JEHolloway »

Thanks for the coffee recommendation. I ordered.

Ad-85

#44: Post by Ad-85 »

https://dragonflycoffeeroasters.com/pro ... rema-dolce

Tasty as straight espressos and hot/iced americanos

The bag was damaged upon arrival and they offered me store credit, so I got 5lbs instead of 2. I didn't like it in milk drinks but I rarely steam milk.

I love dolce Vivace in hot/iced americanos too. But didn't like it as straight espressos
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

JEHolloway

#45: Post by JEHolloway »

nameisjoey wrote: Do yourself a favor and try some Saka Caffe Gran Bar from CantinaCoffee.com

I don't think you will be disappointed!
I received Saka Caffe Gran Bar from CantinaCoffee.com today. It was great. Thanks for the recommendation. I am brewing at 201 should I lower temp?

OK31
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by OK31 »

nameisjoey wrote: Do yourself a favor and try some Saka Caffe Gran Bar from CantinaCoffee.com

I don't think you will be disappointed!
I got some top selection and crema because they didn't have not have the gran bar sadly.

Looking forward to trying these.

nameisjoey

#47: Post by nameisjoey »

JEHolloway wrote:I received Saka Caffe Gran Bar from CantinaCoffee.com today. It was great. Thanks for the recommendation. I am brewing at 201 should I lower temp?
I would say it's worth a shot just to see what happens. Might sweeten it up a tad. Glad you enjoyed it!

nameisjoey

#48: Post by nameisjoey »

OK31 wrote:I got some top selection and crema because they didn't have not have the gran bar sadly.

Looking forward to trying these.
When you get a chance to try them, let me know what you think!

[creative nickname]

#49: Post by [creative nickname] »

Lately I've really enjoyed pulling shots with Onyx's Tropical Weather blend, for what it's worth.
LMWDP #435

OK31
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by OK31 »

Ad-85 wrote:https://dragonflycoffeeroasters.com/pro ... rema-dolce

Tasty as straight espressos and hot/iced americanos

The bag was damaged upon arrival and they offered me store credit, so I got 5lbs instead of 2. I didn't like it in milk drinks but I rarely steam milk.

I love dolce Vivace in hot/iced americanos too. But didn't like it as straight espressos
I just ordered some of the crema and Vesuvius. Why didn't you like crema in milk drinks too weak?