What do you pay on a regular basis for coffee? - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#31: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

This is great you all confirmed that we really did splurge for my wife's birthday. Win. Funny thing is we brought it back to home in AZ all excited to try it on the Slayer. We loved it as a brew coffee when up in Napa for her birthday. Well neither of us liked it in a cap. I liked it better when it cooled quite a bit. As a straight espresso it wasn't better than the beans I roast from Genuine Origin. Tomorrow I will change up the prep with the beans I have left.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

guydebord

#32: Post by guydebord »

Im surprised how frugal most of you relate to coffee splurges. I on the other hand look at it this way: Any alcoholic beverage is way beyond the price of a fancy coffee cup, I don't drink much and Coffee is my drug of choice. I don't drink anything but water and coffee, I don't smoke cigars or anything, the pleasure I get with coffee surpasses the price for a great bag of beans, thus I don't think twice if I'm confronted with a glorious bag of exotic beans... on a weekly basis I login to brandywine and get what they have from Panama Elidia or La Palma y el Tucán, I walk by to café integral and get a $30 8oz bag of their glorious Pacamará without thinking twice, in short, I'm always on the hunt for special beans. Contrary to the opinion here about diminishing returns, I dare you to drink an espresso from a Lactic processed Gesha and say the same. Anyway, drinking red bird might be ok, but most of you are missing A LOT!
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni
★ Helpful

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by JohnB. »

guydebord wrote: Anyway, drinking red bird might be ok, but most of you are missing A LOT!
Haven't purchased Redbird in many years. Lots of other great options without dropping $30 on an 8 oz bag. Tried a few Geisha coffees over the years & don't really care for them.
LMWDP 267

malekia

#34: Post by malekia »

I've been brewing a lot of Chris Coffee Black Pearl Espresso at $13.95/Pound.

jpender

#35: Post by jpender »

guydebord wrote:Im surprised how frugal most of you relate to coffee splurges. I on the other hand look at it this way: Any alcoholic beverage is way beyond the price of a fancy coffee cup...

While I agree with your basic notion that coffee beans are not that expensive compared to lots of other things, there's just no way you can say that a fancy cup of coffee will be much less expensive than "any" alcoholic beverage. A good bottle bourbon can be had for around $25. So a 30ml shot would be $1. You can't even get crappy coffee for a dollar.

I usually drink a couple of cups of coffee a day which at $25/lb works out to $3. Two shots of decent bourbon would be $2. If money were the main thing I would give up coffee and drink bourbon for breakfast.

Granted, if you drink a LOT of coffee it starts to matter.

voozy

#36: Post by voozy »

I remember calculating that Nespresso pods come to around $50 a pound, and people drink those all the time. I used to pick up a cup of machine brewed drip coffee ($2.50 or so, containing maybe 25g of grounds) at the local cafe every morning, and that comes to around $45 a pound. It looks like a 10-pack of Starbuck Keurig pods is $10.99 retail and each pod is 0.44 oz, so that's about $40 a pound, but you can buy much cheaper pods, down to about 25 cents each (under $15/lb). Anyway people are used to paying a lot for coffee one way or another.

When I buy coffee for home I usually stay below $10/lb with occasional special experiments at the $15-20 level. Haven't tried anything really expensive yet. Costco Jose's Mayan was fairly decent at around $5 a pound but my local Costco stores no longer carry it.
Everyone drinks Voozy.

Dburns

#37: Post by Dburns »

I tend to spend about $15-$18 for a 12oz bag. I'm in Chicago so there are a few great roasters in the city - plus once you wise up, a lot of them have a day during the week where they offer $2 off.