Wendelboe coffee has not been good to me the last five or so that I have had - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by ShotClock »

I've been working my way through a bag of the Wendelboe Gesha, since i discovered that i could try TW and La Cabra via Fellow, without commitng to a full order of either.

Anyway, I've found it to be extremely sweet, with a nice fruity background, mangoes and clementines if i remember correctly. There was a faint vegetal note, but not a grassy rawness - i don't remember another coffee with this flavor note, but it's consistently there. Absolutely no bitterness or roastiness, in fact the main characteristic had been the intense sweetness.

For the record, i have been doing 2 minute aeropress brews with a prismo and paper filters, a la Michael Fabian. Grinder is a monolith flat SLM, about 1/3 of a turn coarser than espresso.

Acavia (original poster)

#22: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

ShotClock wrote: i discovered that i could try TW and La Cabra via Fellow,
Is that same as Fellow Drops where you either pass or buy a specific coffee each week or different? Link?

bonjing

#23: Post by bonjing »

https://drops.fellowproducts.com/

I forgot the initial set up, but you keep your credit card on file. Some people aren't comfortable with that. After set up, they text you and your reply, 1,2 ... and they will charge your card accordingly. Sometimes you have to act fast and the system helps.

Acavia (original poster)

#24: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to bonjing »

I do that - Fellow Drops. I am getting the April coffee from last week tomorrow. I think what ShotClock is describing is different??

bonjing

#25: Post by bonjing »

Possibly, I know I missed the Wendelboe drop. I took too long to decide if I wanted to order.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by ShotClock »

Acavia wrote:Is that same as Fellow Drops where you either pass or buy a specific coffee each week or different? Link?
There was a Scandinavian section on the coffee section of their website, it's not there anymore - I guess the leftovers of the drops? I haven't signed up for the drops, but bought 6 bags from their website, almost all of which have turned out to be great.

Acavia (original poster)

#27: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to ShotClock »

How far from roast date were they? My April was roasted around June 15th, so I suspect Fellow buys a lot of them and sell remainders of ones tha tdo not sell in is Drops program.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by ShotClock »

My bag was roasted on April 28th, I think that I received it somewhere around 4-6 weeks after and put it straight in the freezer.

Maybe try leaving it for a month and try it again? I haven't found it stale at all, and have read a fair bit on here about how this style of roasts need a lot of rest.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by PIXIllate »

The direct advice I've received from Tim Wendelboe about resting my subscription coffees has been two weeks. Which is about how long they take to arrive from Oslo to Halifax. For the first few months I was giving them an additional 2-3 weeks but since then I've started using them sooner and have found it to be an improvement. Also, they really aren't a crazy light roast (25-27 Roast Vision). Nothing outside of what I get from Hatch and nowhere near as light as the Cup Of Excellence winner I just had from Rabbit Hole Roasters.

NelisB

#30: Post by NelisB »

Try some Friedhats from the Netherlands. Even their lightest roasts are still very nice extractable on an espresso machine.