Wendelboe and Rest?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RedBarchetta

#1: Post by RedBarchetta »

Hi - Trying this coffee for the first time, for those that have the subscription how long do you rest these? I am only doing pourovers now, no espresso.
I've seen a bit a mix in various threads, wondering if there is a concensus?
Thx

Acavia

#2: Post by Acavia »

I have had many. 8+ days is probably fair starting point. I used to get it from Pour Cleveland, a reseller and it would be around 4 weeks post roast. I could tell little difference between that and the ones I had at 10 days. A friend bought some in the Oslo Wendelboe cafe recently. They were already 2 to 3 weeks post roast in the cafe.

Edit: On second thought, looking over my notes, I found that the ones I had delivered from Wendelboe, and started consuming just over 7 days post roast were better than recent ones I have had, that were 4 weeks post roast.

malling

#3: Post by malling »

3 weeks minimum, the south and middle american can often be okay after 14 days. But especially Kenyan is really best after 3-4 weeks.

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

I've got a subscription for over 3 years now (3 espresso and 3 filter) and for filter it does need 10 days to settle down and get tasty. Before that you can use it (from 5 days on if you do a long 45s bloom) but expect muted flavours. Last month I kept one bag close for 3 weeks until I finished the other ones and used it from 3-5 weeks post roast and it tasted perfect.

OldmatefromOZ

#5: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

I enjoy best not opening until 3 weeks then anywhere over the next 2 to 3 weeks is tasty. I guess its a combination of roast style, roast machine and the green Tim buys. I have found consistently the roasts age gracefully in this period.

In the 4 to 6 week period I generally find sweetness and clarity really picks up, possibly at the expense of some high notes. This does not bother me as it is just consistently delicious coffee for the last couple of years.

Distilled water
150mg magnesium sulfate / L
50mg potassium bi carb / L
17:1 filter brew / blind cupping
P64 unimodals V1

Seriously, there are still many many coffee roasters that just drop commodity and commercial grade green into a pre set PID / timer set roaster with no probes or roasting software and walk away. Churning out baked rubbish and call it special this and that and charge a premium. Comparatively anything TW puts out is generally in another universe even if its their botched test roast.
★ Helpful

tompoland

#6: Post by tompoland »

Interesting thread thanks to everyone.

Would someone enlighten me please? It sounds like some of you are getting the best pours 3 or even 4 weeks post-poast. Are these light roasted beans we are talking about? Thanks.
A little obsessed.

malling

#7: Post by malling replying to tompoland »

Yes these are light to medium light. The lighter the longer the rest. I know some roaster says it should be good at 10-14 days if you roast it well, but even their coffee I prefer beyond 3 weeks. I cannot really recall a light that did not improve on resting this long, some on the brink of undeveloped and even some underdeveloped just rest them 5-8 weeks. I tried an underdeveloped roast and it drastically improved and lost that underdeveloped taste after it had rested 6 weeks.

RedBarchetta (original poster)

#8: Post by RedBarchetta (original poster) »

Thanks everyone, though I will say I'm more confused than ever... Is there something that's so different about this roaster than others?

malling

#9: Post by malling replying to RedBarchetta »

Well he has his profile, the best way is just watch his video or read what he has written on the matter, he is rather open about it, but really in many ways the same as so many other European light roasters, I generally would not drink any light roast before it has passed 3 weeks in a few cases you might find one that is fine at 14 days but even those typically get better one week later. I always do what I can to not drink anything before 3 weeks have past.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by LBIespresso »

malling wrote:...I generally would not drink any light roast before it has passed 3 weeks in a few cases you might find one that is fine at 14 days but even those typically get better one week later. I always do what I can to not drink anything before 3 weeks have past.
I agree with malling. I like to buy one once in a while but make sure I have plenty of other coffee around. This way I can be patient and hold of trying until it is at least 10 days post roast but more important, I can stretch it out to a few weeks and see how it changes. Most if not all are still stellar at 1 month if they last that long. YMMV
LMWDP #580