Vivace Dolce: What am I doing wrong? (or what am I missing?)

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Richard

#1: Post by Richard »

Greetings. I have been reading, i.e., lurking here for some months but have been largely silent, partially from having neither abundant time or knowledge to support meaningful contribution to discussions here, and partially to gauge the lay of the land, so to speak, before jumping uninformed into ongoing discussions.

Briefly, by way of background, I have been brewing and enjoying fine coffees for decades, experimenting and learning about the art of espresso for the past 15 or so years across a wide procession of coffees across a full gamut of styles and sources. A number of months ago I became thoroughly enamored of George Howell's Terroir coffees and have succumbed to the charms of his SO espresso coffees. I have had a current-version Cimbali M21 "Junior" espresso machine for about a year, preceded by several lesser machines across 15 or so years.

Finally to the subject that prompts this post and request for help. After reading high praise for the coffees, I ordered a pound each of Vivace's two espresso blends: Dolce and Vita. They were roasted last Friday, 5/18, and arrived yesterday, 5/24. My only previous source of information about these coffees was what I have read in various online sources, including HB.

Dear Lord, what a shock. To say the Dolce eludes me is an understatement. Far from sweetness, as the very name Dolce states, I am unable to achieve anything drinkable. And the smell of it! As they say these years, Eww! Across an intentionally wide range of temperatures (from far too cool to far too hot, purposefully pushing the envelope), doses, and grinds (coming out of a Mazzer Mini Electronic) there remains a pervasive resinous odor unlike anything I associate with coffee; the spent puck is almost evergreen-like in aroma, and it carries into the cup. Too cool and it's sour, as expected; too hot and it's bitter, as expected; but always that wet, cardboardish, resinous stench and aroma.

So to dispense with the wandering rhetoric, can anyone offer suggestions as to appropriate ways to "dial in" and learn to pull shots with these coffees? I will be most appreciative of any and all helpful suggestions.

Please don't interpret this ramble as especially critical of Vivace's coffees; it's more a commentary on my ability to pull shots and appreciate it. De gustibus non est disputandum. :shock:

(I have yet to try the Vita.)
-- Richard

Advertisement
Ken Fox

#2: Post by Ken Fox replying to Richard »

Don't discount the possibility that they may have received a bad bag of one of the constituent coffees, and that the coffee you received is not salvageable. About 2 years ago I purchased some green blend from a highly respected roaster, roasted up several pounds, and sent samples out to several friends. I started getting back email commentary to the effect of, "is this a test?" and "Peeeeeyeeeewwwww!"

It turned out that a bad bag of beans had gotten into the blend and had ruined it. I sent some of the green back to the roaster and they concurred that there was something bad in there and ended up replacing the order.

I am not a fan of Vivace's coffees, although I have on occasion visited their cafes in Seattle. I would say that your reaction to the coffee you have received, in light of your experience level, indicates either a bad batch or a personal dislike of the blends.

You cannot "dial in" coffee that is bad, or that you don't like. I have tried to do this many times and have never succeeded.

kne
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

TRH

#3: Post by TRH »

Richard,

I too had a similar experience with Dolce a while back. I tried adjusting my Brewtus to different temps and experimented with different dose sizes and baskets. To my taste buds, nothing produced a shot that I really enjoyed.

I later purchased some green Monsooned Malabar and experimented with it in some home roast blends. I liked the blends best with 0% Malabr!

I did try the Vivace decaf at the same time and thought it was very good.
Terry Hendricks

Ken Fox

#4: Post by Ken Fox replying to TRH »

I don't like MM either, which may go a long way towards explaining why I don't like the Vivace blends.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

When they pull a shot at Caffe Luxxe in Santa Monica, they pack the filter to the brim and about 30ml of brown black goop consititutes a double.

The missus didn't like her latte either.

WOFTAM

Fullsack

#6: Post by Fullsack »

You might try a finer grind. Dan, Jim, Abe, one of the "elders," (I did a search and couldn't find the post), mentioned that Dolce beans are rubbery and need finer grinding than most other blends.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

'Q'

#7: Post by 'Q' »

Interesting post.

For the past 6 months or so I've ordered from Espesso Vivace probably at least once a month. I personally prefer the Vita blend over the Dolce, but have had good results from both. The last order I made on 5/3, shipped 5/4, was for some Vita and some Decaf. When I started pulling shots from it a couple days after it arrived I could not get anything good out of it no matter what I did. It was unusual and I tried everything, thinking it was something with me or my machine, to fix it. As part of the process of elimination, I went to the local Pete's and got a 1/4lb of some of their dark, oily beans to try and had better results from that. Finally I sent them an email asking if they had received complaints about that batch because I had such poor results from it. I didn't get an email response from them but yesterday a box showed up in the mail containing a complete replacement. Now, I was not expecting a new shipment and was pleasantly surprised by it. However, I must say that from the few shots I pulled last night and this morning, this batch is somewhat better but still not on par from past experience. I usually look forward to the first whaft of aroma from a newly opened bag of Vita blend, but these most recent bags have not had that very pleasing sweet smell. I'm thinking they got some bad beans.

Again, I applaud their effort to "make it right" by sending a replacement order, I did not expect it when sending the email.

I guess my results could also still be me and/or something with my equipment too... but, like you said, the aroma even seems off.

Advertisement
Richard (original poster)

#8: Post by Richard (original poster) »

Fullsack wrote:You might try a finer grind. Dan, Jim, Abe, one of the "elders," (I did a search and couldn't find the post), mentioned that Dolce beans are rubbery and need finer grinding than most other blends.
Rubbery seems a good description not only of the bean consistency but, come to think of it, of the flavor, too.

Yes, it does require a finer grind than anything I've previously used. Also, its weight per given volume is less than that to which I'm accustomed. A Cimbali double basket will not accommodate more than about 15 grams of Dolce whereas I usually dose 16 or even 17 grams of other coffees; 17 grams of Dolce and the portafilter can't be locked into place.
-- Richard

Richard (original poster)

#9: Post by Richard (original poster) »

Ken Fox wrote:Don't discount the possibility that they may have received a bad bag of one of the constituent coffees . . . your reaction to the coffee you have received, in light of your experience level, indicates either a bad batch or a personal dislike of the blends.
One thing is clear: I quickly developed a personal dislike for what was in my mouth.
Ken Fox wrote:You cannot "dial in" coffee that is bad, or that you don't like. I have tried to do this many times and have never succeeded.
I am reminded of a sign once seen on the wall in a voice teacher's studio: Never, ever, try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. So I likely shan't be annoying that particular coffee any further.
-- Richard

Beavis

#10: Post by Beavis »

Great...I got hooked by the chocolaty comments on both of their blends and just ordered TUESDAY. It will be hard to have unbiased taste buds when it gets here.
Seems many folks have had bad results. I hope mine are better.
Thanks, Beavis