Vivace Dolce: What am I doing wrong? (or what am I missing?) - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SWR

#11: Post by SWR »

I used to buy Vita on a regular basis and really liked it, but was reluctant to try Dolce due to its finicky reputation. I'm very glad I finally did, though, as it's now my favorite blend. I've tried all the most popular blends mentioned on this forum and coffeegeek, including Rocket Coffee's new Reserve Espresso. Needless to say, I'm back again buying Dolce.

Here's my setup and process for it:

Machine: Anita
Basket: "Synesso" 18g
Grinder: Mini-E
Grind: Very fine (I mean fine)
Temp: Unknown, never measured, but I brew on the higher side of temps based on what I've read about Vivace's blends (basically I stop the water dance the second it changes to a steady stream, whereas I keep it going a couple seconds longer for other blends that don't like high temps)
Dose: ~19g (used to measure, don't anymore)
Time: ~35sec (again, used to measure, don't anymore)
Volume: ~1.5oz or slightly more

The result is a rich, deeply sweet, crema-laden bit of heaven with a heavy mouthfeel. If done correctly (which I don't hit every time), it is very chocolately sweet with a long, lingering chocolate aftertaste.

Key point to make here is I'm getting this as well with a new Dolce batch just roasted on Monday and arrived yesterday. Still not fully done de-gassing, and already pulling some very yummy shots.

I hope this gives some folks reason to keep trying with Vivace blends. Again, taste is relative, but to mine, Vivace is still producing a winner.

Richard (original poster)

#12: Post by Richard (original poster) »

SWR wrote:. . . Grind: Very fine (I mean fine) . . . Dose: ~19g (used to measure, don't anymore)
Thank you for the specificity. What you just described is a ristretto, and that's food for further experimentation here. Given the ca. 15-gram dosage in a Cimbali double basket, I need to shoot for perhaps 1-oz. pulls in 20 or so seconds and see what that's like.
-- Richard

SWR

#13: Post by SWR »

Yes, Vivace is blended optimally for a triple ristretto. That's what they pull in their shops, and that's where the deep sweetness comes from. I've tried true triple ristrettos with the 21g LM triple basket, but I prefer the 18g basket to it. I read once that Malachi recommended Dolce as a 21g basket downdosed 19g ristretto, but I prefer an 18-19g dose in the 18g basket, and it's treated me very well so far. Get that syrupy, gloppy ristretto pull, and you'll like the result.

edwa

#14: Post by edwa »

I offer this as more of a question of a possibility than a statement of fact. I have occassionally used Caffe Luxxe's beans in the past and they are reputed to be rebadged Vivace. The last time I had their Testarosa blend, which is described similarly as the Dolce is, I found that it was better starting on day 7 after roasting. Odd, no? But previous to this no matter how fine my Mazzer ground, short of choking, I got that shook-up-soda-foam. After this longer rest not only did the Crema improve but so did the taste. Today, I received my first purchase of a 1/2 lb of Dolce and Vita. I'll post on how these fare after they rest a few more days. I have my concerns based on a number of posts reporting how finicky Dolce can be, but, "nothing ventured nothing gained". etc. etc. etc. 8)

Beavis

#15: Post by Beavis »

Agree, Edwa. Maybe I'll pull a miracle shot! Never know till you try. Besides, we are all looking for what we like even though many of us get there by different paths.
Thanks, Beavis

#16: Post by Richard (original poster) »

SWR wrote: Dose: ~19g (used to measure, don't anymore)
This is spot-on advice and I thank you again for it.

I rummaged around and found a basket of about 21g capacity, so deep it will fit only in a bottomless portafilter on the La Cimbali. Dosed at 19-20g, a 1.0-1.5oz ristretto in about 30 seconds, the resulting shot was wholly different than what I was pulling a couple of days ago, and the aroma in the cup was essentially that of the ground coffee. Interestingly, the resinous, rubbery stench of the spent puck that I was experiencing earlier was thankfully absent, too.

As to whether I appreciate the style of the Dolce ristretto, the jury is still out, but I believe I'm on the right track with how to handle the coffee.
-- Richard

SWR

#17: Post by SWR »

I'm glad that's working out better for you, Richard. Keep experimenting with it, and hopefully the shots will keep improving. Just gotta find the sweet spot for it. I guess that's why it's notorious for being finicky. Once you find it, though, it's easy to replicate it.

Ken Fox

#18: Post by Ken Fox »

Richard wrote: Interestingly, the resinous, rubbery stench of the spent puck that I was experiencing earlier was thankfully absent, too.

As to whether I appreciate the style of the Dolce ristretto, the jury is still out, but I believe I'm on the right track with how to handle the coffee.
Rubbery, in espresso, usually comes from Robusta, which is also present in the Vivace blends.

I suggest you try a bunch of other coffees, especially single origins, before you conclude that the effort you need to put into pulling a good shot with Vivace's blends is worth the effort.

I have a number of single origins, and other blends, that I have used over time which are not particularly finnicky and which to my taste provide more pleasure than anything I've ever been served at a Vivace cafe.

I do still go there when I pass through Seattle, it seems like it is necessary for some reason, but I don't feel any obligation to drink their coffee elsewhere.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

#19: Post by Richard (original poster) »

Ken Fox wrote:Rubbery, in espresso, usually comes from Robusta, which is also present in the Vivace blends.
I believe these are the first robusta-containing blends I have ever tried. They may be the last.
Ken Fox wrote:I suggest you try a bunch of other coffees, especially single origins, before you conclude that the effort you need to put into pulling a good shot with Vivace's blends is worth the effort.
Oh, I regularly drink and enjoy single origin coffees across a variety of styles. These Vivace blends fall, for me, into the category of experiment. I offloaded that STUFF out of the grinder after dinner this evening and gratefully turned back to George Howell's Datera northern Italian roast, one of my regulars.

Thanks for your perspective, Ken. It's not at all unlike my own on this subject.
-- Richard

edwa

#20: Post by edwa »

I opened my bag of Vita this morning and all I can say is 4 days from roast is not enough rest. Foam city and a wicked cone. Now I'm upriver without a paddle as I finished the last of the Redline this morning for my first shot. :cry: