Vivace Dolce

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

I'm looking for a medium roast coffee that is more than one dimensional, more than the so-called mild chocolate, nothing else. I don't mind fruit as long as it is not citrus. I have read reviews on Vivace Dolce that make this roast seem very appealing. Anyone have their thoughts on this one? Thanks.

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to chanty 77 »

Linda, Vivace Dolce is a nice, well-crafted blend, and well worth trying (at least once). It's really best straight, although it can work in milk drinks. The main challenge with it is its (insane, IMHO) shipping cost if you don't live in the Seattle area, coupled with the fact that Vivace will not sell in reasonable quantities (2-5 lbs), which in the case of other roasters enables consumers to save a bit on the beans -- when pricing is less per unit on larger quantities, as is usual -- and which would lower shipping costs per unit significantly. But by all means try it for the experience and a valuable data point

Given what you're looking for -- and perhaps depending on what you regard as "medium roast" -- may I suggest also going over to a Verve "The Sermon" topic to explore whether its flavor profile would appeal to you? Like Dolce, it's an iconic espresso blend in its own right.

Getting back on topic, if you generally drink cappuccinos, cortados, etc., if you will be ordering some Dolce, you should also check out Vivace's Vita blend, which is a good/better match for milk.

Hope you find the beans you seek!
- John

LMWDP # 577

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) » replying to Balthazar_B »

First off, thank you so much for your help. I will have to order something today to get it to work almost seamlessly with when I finish the Verve Backstreet. I thought I initially enjoyed Backstreet, but it is more bitter/roasty than I like. Have temp. down to 199°, still more bitter, gonna turn it down to maybe 197° tomorrow. I have tried Sermon a number of times & really like the flavor. The blueberry is prominent (LOVE THAT) for the first several days after opening the bag, but that note tends to fade after that. It still has a lovely flavor, but I had a problem with shells last time that they feel is normal, which I guess I don't. Hardly had any shells in the Backstreet--but not loving that one.

Why do you think the Dolce would not work as well in milk drinks? I really don't drink anything other than my 4 shots of espresso (double basket, so two double basket shots) with about 4-5oz. of steamed/microfoam milk. If the flavor doesn't strongly punch through the milk, I wouldn't like it. I've tried Nossa Full Cycle a couple times. I liked that I picked up some sort of fruit, but not citrus & other flavors melding through it--not even sure what. All I know is that it wasn't a bland one dimensional flavor. Why do you think Vita is a better espresso for milk drinks? Thanks again!

#4: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:Linda, Vivace Dolce is a nice, well-crafted blend, and well worth trying (at least once). It's really best straight, although it can work in milk drinks. The main challenge with it is its (insane, IMHO) shipping cost if you don't live in the Seattle area, coupled with the fact that Vivace will not sell in reasonable quantities (2-5 lbs), which in the case of other roasters enables consumers to save a bit on the beans -- when pricing is less per unit on larger quantities, as is usual -- and which would lower shipping costs per unit significantly. But by all means try it for the experience and a valuable data point

Given what you're looking for -- and perhaps depending on what you regard as "medium roast" -- may I suggest also going over to a Verve "The Sermon" topic to explore whether its flavor profile would appeal to you? Like Dolce, it's an iconic espresso blend in its own right.

Getting back on topic, if you generally drink cappuccinos, cortados, etc., if you will be ordering some Dolce, you should also check out Vivace's Vita blend, which is a good/better match for milk.

Hope you find the beans you seek!
John, another question, hopefully you will see this, planned on possibly ordering tomorrow. I've done some searching on this site & a couple people said the Dolce & Vita are oilier beans? True? I try to avoid oily (sometimes just too bitter roasty tasting & mostly cuz I don't like all that oil buildup on my grinder). Thanks!

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

chanty 77 wrote: Why do you think the Dolce would not work as well in milk drinks? I really don't drink anything other than my 4 shots of espresso (double basket, so two double basket shots) with about 4-5oz. of steamed/microfoam milk. If the flavor doesn't strongly punch through the milk, I wouldn't like it. I've tried Nossa Full Cycle a couple times. I liked that I picked up some sort of fruit, but not citrus & other flavors melding through it--not even sure what. All I know is that it wasn't a bland one dimensional flavor. Why do you think Vita is a better espresso for milk drinks? Thanks again!
What I've enjoyed about Dolce are its nuances, and those get lost in milk. You're left with a pleasant but unremarkable drink, and the premium you've paid for the beans is kind of wasted. OTOH, Vita's strong suit is higher intensity, enabling it to better assert its character in milk. Now whether one appreciates that character is a matter of personal taste. By way of analogy, in my ragtop the difference is between listening to Mozart and the Who. In general terms, both Dolce and Vita are in the area of the roast level of the coffees we enjoy most these days. YMMV, of course.

Re. Sermon losing something after some time off roast -- this applies to pretty much all coffees -- have you considered extending its life by freezing the beans in containers sized for about 2-4 days of consumption, and defrosting as needed?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Balthazar_B

#6: Post by Balthazar_B »

chanty 77 wrote:John, another question, hopefully you will see this, planned on possibly ordering tomorrow. I've done some searching on this site & a couple people said the Dolce & Vita are oilier beans? True? I try to avoid oily (sometimes just too bitter roasty tasting & mostly cuz I don't like all that oil buildup on my grinder). Thanks!
With the caveats that it's been quite a while since we've had either coffee in the house, and that things can change over time -- I need only look in the mirror to appreciate that latter universal truth :P -- I wouldn't describe them as oily in the glossy sense, but some beans can have satiny patches. They didn't gum up our grinder, and roastiness was not a flavor defect. I guess it is a matter of taste, experience, and comparisons, which vary from person to person. Compared with the second wave coffees I grew up on, Vivace's blends are pretty light-to-medium roasts; compared with many third wave roasts, they're pretty dark. If you like Sermon and the Nossa blends, they shouldn't be outside your comfort zone.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#7: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Thanks John! You gave me something to think on, so appreciate the time you took to reply back. I prefer not to freeze for a myriad of my own reasons. I do have an AirScape container. When I am buying (say to try a new blend or re-try to see if I want to make it permanent on my rotation) two 12 oz. at one time, I will put the open 12 oz. bag in the AirScape.

The Nossa & Verve beans I have tried (Nossa Full Cycle, Teodoro & Verve Sermon & Backstreet) are not shiny, oily at all. I guess I prefer medium roasts best of all. Even some of the medium-dark are too bitter/roasty for me.

I did contact Vivace about the Dolce & Vita, and wasn't happy to read this: "Our beans aren't oily when they are fresh. We guarantee freshness for up to 10 days after the roast date on the bag. Refrigerating the beans can extend this period for up to a month. Our beans tend to turn oily after this freshness window." This sadly won't be a real option for me as I typically like to let my beans rest for at least 7-8 days post roast, and a 12 oz. bag will typically last about 9 days---so that would already bring me 6-7 days past what they consider "fresh" and start getting oily. This may be me, but even a little oil is a turnoff to me. I can't even use Caffelusso's Lionshare because of the 20% Robusta, which has twice as much caffeine as normal beans which would not be good for my crazy heart pitter patters. I may check out Paradise's nuevo.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
BrandtStarck
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by BrandtStarck »

Balthazar_B wrote:...both Dolce and Vita are in the area of the roast level of the coffees we enjoy most these days.
I don't intend to hijack... BUT.. have you had success with these coffees with your Bosco? I used to be very fond of them with my Duetto, but haven't tried them since I replaced it with the Bosco. I had always pulled them at a 1:1 ratio - I don't think I ever pulled anything but ristrettos with these guys.

Balthazar_B

#9: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to BrandtStarck »

I'm trying to recall whether I ever brewed them on the Bosco. I think it may have only been with my pump machine. But not sure.

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't harmonize well with a commercial lever. My Bosco does fine with Saka and worked very well with Scarlet City blends, which were very much like Vivace's coffees in character. I''m pretty skeptical that I'd ever find a comfort blend that can't be happy being brewed on a big lever machine.
- John

LMWDP # 577

happycat

#10: Post by happycat »

chanty 77 wrote:I typically like to let my beans rest for at least 7-8 days post roast, and a 12 oz. bag will typically last about 9 days---so that would already bring me 6-7 days past what they consider "fresh" and start getting oily.
You can freeze roasted coffee at its peak and use it as needed.

Coffee Freezing Best Practices
LMWDP #603