Very, very, very light roasts for espresso? - Page 9

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
gophish

#81: Post by gophish »

def wrote:I retried my Leam Hammer with a double basket at 14.0g in, 42g out, 201F to 202F. I tried three shots, and each were successively better as I ground finer. 30sec PI. The last shot was 75 seconds @ 9bar, nice even extraction. It tastes a lot better than before. Much more balanced, sweeter, now lightly acidic but pleasant.
Nice! What basket did you use, and was it 30s of PI + 75s @ 9bar or 75s total, including the PI?
Versalab

def

#82: Post by def replying to gophish »

I used my ECM double basket which came with my machine. I am not sure what exact size it is, but it is smaller than VST 18g. 14g tamped down about 2.5mm below the ridge. Yes, 30s PI @1.5bar + 75s @9bar. Long extraction, but very even and no channeling. After 10 minutes, I had a lingering bitter taste in my mouth from the last shot, so I just retried this same recipe but with 1:2.5 ratio (14g:35g). It was a little less bitter, but a little more acidic than the 1:3 ratio. This is as straight espresso. I added a little hot water and some heavy cream, and it tasted excellent that way. If I were making a cap, I would probably try with 1:2.5 ratio.

nuketopia (original poster)

#83: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Ordered some Leam Hammer, so I can rip a hole in the fabric of space and time using a Linea Mini and a Monolith Conical grinder and drink very light roast espresso that isn't light enough to satisfy some that it is truly, "light roast".

Haven't been able to source raw unripened coffee cherries for the ultimately light, light roast experience. :mrgreen:

Have a feeling that in spite of all the warnings of warp core overload, I'll be able to pull this coffee satisfactorily.

Almico

#84: Post by Almico »

nuketopia wrote:Ordered some Leam Hammer, so I can rip a hole in the fabric of space and time using a Linea Mini and a Monolith Conical grinder and drink very light roast espresso that isn't light enough to satisfy some that it is truly, "light roast".

Aguirre

#85: Post by Aguirre »

nuketopia wrote:Ordered some Leam Hammer, so I can rip a hole in the fabric of space and time using a Linea Mini and a Monolith Conical grinder and drink very light roast espresso that isn't light enough to satisfy some that it is truly, "light roast".

Haven't been able to source raw unripened coffee cherries for the ultimately light, light roast experience. :mrgreen:

Have a feeling that in spite of all the warnings of warp core overload, I'll be able to pull this coffee satisfactorily.
OK, these guys are making some money on us. I just bought some as well. More for the sake of addressing your existential question, Larry.

My expectation tells me it will be still a espresso roast, just as the label indicates (it has the word "Nordic" on it, but we now the Nordic gods also like darker-than-filter roasts for espresso)

nuketopia (original poster)

#86: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

The Coffee Review website shows the Agtron numbers for the whole bean and the ground sample. They list it as a medium-light. I suspect that's what it is. But there are so many glowing reports of it, figured I'd try it anyway.

ben8jam

#87: Post by ben8jam »

But don't forget, the mini can't pull light roasts! You're going to rip the universe in half! :lol:

Aguirre

#88: Post by Aguirre replying to ben8jam »

The universe will still be safe - this still doesn't seem to be the ONE

One Roast to rule them all, One Roast to find them, One Roast to bring them all, and in the lightness bind them

HB
Admin

#89: Post by HB »

To slow the onslaught of can-you-top-this humor, this thread is closed for the day. :roll:
Dan Kehn