Very, very, very light roasts for espresso? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Feb 15, 2019, 11:11 pm

Maybe I'll just snag some unripened coffee cherries. LOL.

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Feb 16, 2019, 5:22 pm

Currently struggling to dial-in a bag I just bought from Gotham, one of my favorite NYC roasters, its called Degrees North: http://www.gothamroasters.com/store/deg ... 734-by-294
Light roasts behave so differently, even though Im dosing 20gr I had to downsize to my 18gr VST basket... Last pull (after 5) was very acceptable :|
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chert
Supporter ♡

Postby Chert » Feb 16, 2019, 5:41 pm

What about dropping the dose and grinding finer? What happens in your set up with that method for a lighter roast? Say 15 or 14.5 g? in that 18 g basket?

RyanP

Postby RyanP » replying to Chert » Feb 16, 2019, 6:04 pm

Agreed on that recommendation

Also, sometimes lower temps (counterintuitive and to what a lot of people will tell you) on those lighter roasted Ethiopians will bring out more sweetness and clarity.

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Feb 16, 2019, 6:19 pm

RyanP wrote:Also, sometimes lower temps (counterintuitive to what a lot of people will tell you).

Yeah! For me, the difficulty of light roasts isn't usually the acidity, but the cutting bitterness.
Jim Schulman

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Feb 17, 2019, 1:12 pm

Chert wrote:What about dropping the dose and grinding finer? What happens in your set up with that method for a lighter roast? Say 15 or 14.5 g? in that 18 g basket?

I succeeded with grinding 20gr finer into the 18gr VST basket and with a 1:2.3'ish ratio, temperature was showing 202F in the Erics thermometer. I made two close-to-perfect doubleshots this morning, very happy about them. The coffee was so delicious that Im getting another bag later today. This was a tough one...

Chert
Supporter ♡

Postby Chert » replying to guydebord » Feb 17, 2019, 3:17 pm

Was that higher dose at the same temp as the prior coarser, less grams, disappointing pulls?

guydebord

Postby guydebord » replying to Chert » Feb 18, 2019, 12:11 pm

No, I lowered the temperature about 3 degrees. The two most important factors were without doubt grinding finer and changing to the smaller basket size.

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

Postby mivanitsky » Feb 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

guydebord wrote:Currently struggling to dial-in a bag I just bought from Gotham, one of my favorite NYC roasters, its called Degrees North: http://www.gothamroasters.com/store/deg ... 734-by-294
Light roasts behave so differently, even though Im dosing 20gr I had to downsize to my 18gr VST basket... Last pull (after 5) was very acceptable :|
<image>

If you do not have a well-aligned large flat grinder with appropriate burrs for light roasts, you will need to downdose and grind finer. Long preinfusion at low flow helps too, as does relatively high temperature.

Also, some light roasts need to age a bit before they are fit for consumption.

guydebord

Postby guydebord » replying to mivanitsky » Feb 18, 2019, 1:42 pm

Yes, Im actually surprised how my 55mm flat has done so well. Have you tried the MC3 with the very light roasts? Im curious to hear your opinions about this since Im awaiting one.