Verve Vancouver SW Decaf Recipe Advice

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
xxezfc

#1: Post by xxezfc »

I'm brand new to home espresso (besides super auto and failed attempt at cafelat robot--I think it was temp control issues with the robot.) Just received a Lelit Elizabeth yesterday and am dialing in some Verve Vancouver Swiss Water Decaf. Here's what I've got so far:

198℉
19 grams ground beans (triple portafilter)
32 grams output weight
27 seconds
using the 1st brew button of the 2 options
factory pressure setting
rpavlis water

This one is the best tasting so far. My grinder was too course at the onset and I did a lot of adjustments making the grind smaller to target an extraction close to about 30 seconds for 30 grams (it was waaay off at the beginning). Once I got a shot that took too much time, I dialed back to 1/2 of the prior grind adjustment and ended up here. I would taste and compare each as I made them and this recipe also seemed to be the best so far, but I'm sure there's a lot I'm still missing.

Since I'm new, I'll admit I don't have the best tasting skills, my pucks are probably flawed and not consistent, and I've been making all of the rookie errors. And, I don't have a local shop to make a comparison.

Does this recipe seem reasonable? If you like this specific coffee, what's your recipe?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

xxezfc wrote:Does this recipe seem reasonable?
Sounds reasonable to me.

You could try a little bit coarser and run to 40g in 27 seconds and see if you like that. You might not.

Similarly, try a little bit finer and run to 29g in 27 seconds and see if you like that. You might not.

There are no wrong answers :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dyno

#3: Post by dyno »

19g seems a bit light for a triple basket. I was under the impression the puck should expand and push against the shower screen during extraction. Dunno if that will make a difference in the cup.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing replying to dyno »

I'd think the reverse - that you never want the puck hitting the shower screen during extraction. However, after extraction, the action of the three-way valve (if the machine has a 3-way) may well pull the puck up to the shower screen.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

bored117

#5: Post by bored117 »

I remember pulling closer to 1 to 2.5 ratio on breville dual boiler. 8 sec pre infusion and total shot time was right around 30 seconds.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Are you using a naked portafilter to watch the extraction?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"