Verve Coffees - Recommend for espresso/latte

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
joe mendez

#1: Post by joe mendez »

I want to try Verve coffees for espresso and lattes, which do you recommend? I looked at their website they have 2 under espresso, Streetlevel and Sermon.

Some coffees I have tried so far:

Onyx Monarch - way too much chocolate, felt like I was drinking hot chocolate. Will not rebuy.
Klatch WBC - good but not sure I pulled it correctly.
Klatch Belle - really enjoyed this one, some chocolate tones but not over done was complex even in milk.
Peet's Espresso Forte - I enjoy this one too, sometimes their batches the flavors are not consistent.

isleofman

#2: Post by isleofman »

I like Verve quite a bit. Nice, consistent coffees and same day shipping most of the time.

Both of their espresso blends are solid. Certainly worth trying - I won't try to predict if you'll find them too chocolate-forward.

Occasionally they have a single origin espresso offering. These can be sublime. I still remember the first SOE Duromina I got from them a few years ago. Crazy good.

JmanEspresso

#3: Post by JmanEspresso »

Heres a question-

Onyx Monarch. Felt like you were drinking hot chocolate? Really? Im so intrigued. Would you say, its absolutely the most chocolaty espresso ever? Reason being is, I love me some proper chocolate bomb espresso. Ive yet to try Onyx, but they look impressive enough on paper. Maybe too fancy even. But next to my lve of chocolate bomb espresso, is my love of vanity so.. beam me up scotty! :P

For my suggestions:

Blue Bottle
Hayes Valley & 17ft Cieling. Hayes Valley is all around an excellent flagship espresso, its good alone, it holds up in small milk.. its really just.. its excellent. 17ft to me, is a little darker a little more chocolaty and little more rich.. Its definitely not a milk only blend, I drink it straight all the time, but it definitely excels in milk, even a bigger latte it holds up well. Klatch Belle was my go to forever, and its still good I just eventually moved on. These two from BB have been on my bar, with only slight deviation for over a year.

edit- Oh.. sorry.. didnt mean to ressurect an old thread, I didnt pay attention to the date.

bean2friends

#4: Post by bean2friends »

I'm glad you resurrected it. Some things just need a breath of new life.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dparrish »

isleofman wrote:I like Verve quite a bit. Nice, consistent coffees and same day shipping most of the time.

Both of their espresso blends are solid. Certainly worth trying - I won't try to predict if you'll find them too chocolate-forward.

Occasionally they have a single origin espresso offering. These can be sublime. I still remember the first SOE Duromina I got from them a few years ago. Crazy good.
Agreed.I had an espresso subscription with them for a while. My favorites were always Sermon (blueberry and chocolate) and whatever single origin at the time.

Chabeau

#6: Post by Chabeau »

During the CZU fire evacuation I ended up serving Verve's Streetlevel to fellow evacuees at our camp. It's a versatile coffee that pairs well with milk and still has enough going on so that it can be enjoyed neat. Maybe not a classic chocolate bomb but pulling it short will get you in the ballpark. Longer ratios highlight fruit notes but there is a roast note that will persist no matter what you do.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

rg60614

#7: Post by rg60614 »

I used to like Streetlevel but recently tried Sermon and loved it. I've been getting it fairly regularly and highly recommend it.