An Unexpected Find: Ethiopian Harrar

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IamOiman

Postby IamOiman » Mar 13, 2019, 8:07 am

I was visiting my grandparents in Indiana over my Spring Break last week (which is very early yes I know but my uni finishes early) when I realized my next coffee shipment would not arrive likely 2-3 weeks after I run out of my current supply. I needed (more likely wanted) coffee for when I came back, and a local bakery my grandfather frequents brewed very decent coffee. They even ground new batches of drip right before brewing. Their coffee bean source is called The Refinery, and I picked up a 1lb bag of Ethiopian Harrar for $15 after taxes the day before I returned to school.

I am stunned to say that I am extremely impressed with this single origin for espresso, and is the first one I enjoy. It is very dark, darker than some roasts I have tried from Italy. I use only 11.5g of coffee to pull a double at a fairly coarse setting for my Elektra Micro Casa a Leva. Once I dialed my shot, I can confidently say I can produce gosh shots and god shots about 90% of the time.

This is a very wonderful earthy roast with notes of chocolate and a very slight hint of a fruit. The aftertaste will linger for up to a pleasant 30 minutes after drinking. It is a very forgiving roast as well.

Normally I will stick with a single coffee I have been using for some years now, but now I will keep my eye open for other coffees like this one. I may even order this coffee again in the future since this company does mail their coffee.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Mar 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Congrats. Harrar was a favorite with hobbyists for SO espresso in the early aughts. At it's best, it is like Yemen coffee, and can equal or exceeds their highest quality lots. However, it's been hard to find good Harrar since Mohammed Ogsadey ("Horse" cofee importers) died around 2007. The coffee comes from territory disputed by Eritrea and Ethiopia; so without good personal connections, it's hard to get out. A peace has recently been brokered, and it seems to be holding, so we may get well prepped Harrar again.
Jim Schulman

voozy

Postby voozy » Mar 13, 2019, 11:39 pm

Happy Mug currently has some light roast Harrar available as "special mug":

https://happymugcoffee.com/special-mug/ ... offee.html

I haven't tried it and am not recommending or disrecommending it, just pointing it out. I might order some and would be interested in hearing any thoughts.
Everyone drinks Voozy.

cmin

Postby cmin » replying to voozy » Mar 23, 2019, 1:22 am

Just to chime in I ordered it before, the 1st bag was mind blowing incredible, I'm talking blowing away even similar offerings from much more expensive roasters over the years. Literally the most incredible blueberry jam coffee I've ever had all these years. But then subsequent bags range from awful to barely mediocre, recommended to a few on here and that was their exact experience as well, think it was like 4 bags after and they all sucked.

Sucks b/c that 1 bag was phenomenal. I'm talking opening the bag alone in the kitchen made the kitchen smell like blueberries.

nrh

Postby nrh » Mar 23, 2019, 12:09 pm

voozy wrote:Happy Mug currently has some light roast Harrar available as "special mug":

https://happymugcoffee.com/special-mug/ ... offee.html

I haven't tried it and am not recommending or disrecommending it, just pointing it out. I might order some and would be interested in hearing any thoughts.

I had a bag from Happy Mug a few months ago, and it was really good!

I will try them again at some point.
Nick H.

tlipcon

Postby tlipcon » Apr 06, 2019, 12:20 am

Same experience here with happy mug's Harrar. Had an amazing bag a few months back, reordered 2 pounds, and finding it pretty meh this time around. Moving on to trying some Ethiopians (not Harrar) from S&W next.

voozy

Postby voozy » Apr 06, 2019, 4:41 pm

Oh well, too bad about the Harrar. I had a bag of HM's "Sophisticated Ethiopian" a few months ago and I found it pretty good. I don't have enough basis of comparison to use words like incredible though.
Everyone drinks Voozy.