The Ultimate Easy Pumpkin Spice Latte

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
purplynurply

#1: Post by purplynurply »

Many of you have probably seen James Hoffmann's "Ultimate Pumpkin Spice latte" video. I know this forum is a place that respects coffee and probably doesn't give much attention to such drinks, but they really can be quite nice as a change up from the everyday lattes, cortados, and such.

Welp, I made a video to show my own version that I think is perhaps just as good or better, and more importantly it's way less fussy.

[3min15sec]

Though I love James Hoffman's vids in general, a couple things bothered me about the PSL vid. First of all, for someone trying to make it at home, it's involved as all heck. Ain't nobody got time for... juicing a pumpkin? Yeah, no. And secondly, it apparently requires you spend a months wages and 5 years on camelback, traveling the silk road to acquire spices directly from the shed of a Mongolian cinnamon monger. I mean, let's be honest here - all these spices are gonna get mixed with a bunch of milk, pumpkin, sugar, and coffee, and you're probably not going to be able to pick out the specific nuances between "Peruvian Ceylon Cinnamon" and whatever else.

I used to work at a cafe that served an amazing sweet potato latte, very similar to a PSL, and this recipe takes a lot of cues from their approach. Spicier, less sweet, no more than 12oz, and create an end product that still highlights and pays respect to the coffee.

Anyway, I hope this post doesn't offend your sensibilities too bad. Curious to hear your thoughts!

Edit:

Full Recipe - Ultimate Easy Pumpkin Spice Latte

Syrup-
100 G Light Brown Sugar
100 G Boiling hot water
100 G Pumpkin
Whisk till smooth

Spice Mix:
2 G salt
1.5 G cinnamon
1 G tumeric
1 G nutmeg
1 G ginger
.5 G cayenne
.1 G Allspice

Whisk into syrup till combined
Add ~25 G into espresso shot when making latte for best balance. Top mixed shot with cinnamon before pouring milk, mainly for aesthetics but does add a nice spicy kick.

DamianWarS

#2: Post by DamianWarS »

purplynurply wrote:Many of you have probably seen James Hoffmann's "Ultimate Pumpkin Spice latte" video. I know this forum is a place that respects coffee and probably doesn't give much attention to such drinks, but they really can be quite nice as a change up from the everyday lattes, cortados, and such.

Welp, I made a video to show my own version that I think is perhaps just as good or better, and more importantly it's way less fussy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwe3_DHj3Y [3min15sec]

Though I love James Hoffman's vids in general, a couple things bothered me about the PSL vid. First of all, for someone trying to make it at home, it's involved as all heck. Ain't nobody got time for... juicing a pumpkin? Yeah, no. And secondly, it apparently requires you spend a months wages and 5 years on camelback, traveling the silk road to acquire spices directly from the shed of a Mongolian cinnamon monger. I mean, let's be honest here - all these spices are gonna get mixed with a bunch of milk, pumpkin, sugar, and coffee, and you're probably not going to be able to pick out the specific nuances between "Peruvian Ceylon Cinnamon" and whatever else.

I used to work at a cafe that served an amazing sweet potato latte, very similar to a PSL, and this recipe takes a lot of cues from their approach. Spicier, less sweet, no more than 12oz, and create an end product that still highlights and pays respect to the coffee.

Anyway, I hope this post doesn't offend your sensibilities too bad. Curious to hear your thoughts!
I love how hoffmann early on stops and says he was over complicating it and I suppose in his head the recipe he pulls out was the simple version. I wanted to try a version using off the shelf spices, thanks for posting yours, I'll try it out.

purplynurply (original poster)

#3: Post by purplynurply (original poster) »

DamianWarS wrote:I love how hoffmann early on stopys he was over complicating it and I suppose in his head the recipe he pulls out was the simple version. I wanted to try a version using off the shelf spices, thanks for posting yours, I'll try it out.
Exactly lol. I definitely recommend using freshly ground spices where possible but it's not a necessity in this application. I used only 3 fresh ground - cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg. At the end of the day it's not going to make a giant difference as long as your spices haven't been hanging around for like 5 years in your cabinet.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Or you could buy one of these; https://www.monin.com/us/pumpkin-spice-syrup.html & pull it out of the freezer every Fall.
LMWDP 267

DamianWarS

#5: Post by DamianWarS »

purplynurply wrote:Exactly lol. I definitely recommend using freshly ground spices where possible but it's not a necessity in this application. I used only 3 fresh ground - cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg. At the end of the day it's not going to make a giant difference as long as your spices haven't been hanging around for like 5 years in your cabinet.
I live in indonesia, it's nicknamed "spice islands" where I think nutmeg was discovered and at the time more valuable than gold. Allspice I think is a new world plant but most of the spices in that list I can get fresh. It may be no "Peruvian Ceylon Cinnamon" but I can literally go to a cinnamon tree and pull the bark off of it. The indonesian word for cinnamon actually translates to "sweet wood"

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS »

JohnB. wrote:Or you could buy one of these; https://www.monin.com/us/pumpkin-spice-syrup.html & pull it out of the freezer every Fall.
I don't think that stuff goes bad so you don't need to freeze, it's also probably pumpkin spice flavoured simple sugar.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. replying to DamianWarS »

They do have expiration dates on the bottles. What else would it be but flavored syrup?? Not a latte fan myself so I won't be finding out how good it is or isn't.
LMWDP 267

purplynurply (original poster)

#8: Post by purplynurply (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Or you could buy one of these; https://www.monin.com/us/pumpkin-spice-syrup.html & pull it out of the freezer every Fall.
The Ultimate Easy Lazy Pumpkin Spice Latte

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Monin does offer this puree: https://www.monin.com/us/spiced-pumpkin ... puree.html Pretty much what the op is putting together.
LMWDP 267

Nate42

#10: Post by Nate42 »

Neat video, thanks for posting. I had the same reaction to Hoffman's, just a little too involved for me. It was fun watching him go to starbucks in the beginning though.

Mind posting the recipe details in plain text so I can copy paste it easily? I have a file of recipes I want to add it to.