Top 5 Coffee Roasters - 2019 - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HelterSkelter

#31: Post by HelterSkelter »

Chiswim_32796 wrote:1. Sump (MO)
2. Metric (IL)
3. Onyx (AR)
I can understand your frustrations to the end. It seems Onyx is a popular choice for a few people...!

slybarman

#32: Post by slybarman »

trunks235 wrote:1. Ceremony
2. Vigilante
3. Sweet bloom
4. 49th parallel
5. Counter culture

These aren't in any particular order. The first two are Maryland roasters so I use them frequently by default. That being said, I think they are both wonderful. Ceremony Mass Appeal and Vigilante Tin Lizzie always give me A+ espresso. Can't speak to their single origins as much. Sweet bloom and 49th are just awesome, always had wonderful experiences with their beans both for pour over and as espresso. Counter culture is on here before I have a soft spot for them. Hologram is always welcome and I love their single origins.
I am just down the road from Ceremony, but haven't used them much as I never found any of their stuff knocked my socks off. I popped in the other day because I was out of all other coffee and thought I would give them another try. The young lady behind the counter was very nice and talked me into trying the Thesis, despite it being a lighter roast (I told her I am normally into more traditional medium/dark roasts and milk based drinks). I tried to dial it in this morning, but couldn't get past the acidity/brightness of it. They say I should be getting chocolate chip cookie and brown sugar from it. I did not get that. I tried a longer pre-infusion which helped some, but it just wasn't my jam. Have you tried the Thesis?

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by emradguy »

Kuma
Nossa Familia
Chromatic
George Howell
Dragonfly

Hard to put them in an order though.
LMWDP #748

johnny4lsu

#34: Post by johnny4lsu »

My top 3

Passenger
Sweet Bloom
George Howell

sambuist

#35: Post by sambuist »

Such a great set of lists.

I'm going to give them a try

Charliehustlehops

#36: Post by Charliehustlehops »

Onyx
Heart
Passenger
Olympia
Tandem

mathof

#37: Post by mathof »

My top five (not in ranked order):

Gardelli (Forli, Italy)
Wendelboe (Oslo, Norway)
April (Copenhagen, Denmark)
Assembly (London, UK)
Sey (Brooklyn, US)

Advertisement
jfranco

#38: Post by jfranco »

1. Onyx
2. PT's
3. Anodyne
4. Rival Bros
5. La Colombe

gzim

#39: Post by gzim »

slybarman wrote:I am just down the road from Ceremony, but haven't used them much as I never found any of their stuff knocked my socks off. I popped in the other day because I was out of all other coffee and thought I would give them another try. The young lady behind the counter was very nice and talked me into trying the Thesis, despite it being a lighter roast (I told her I am normally into more traditional medium/dark roasts and milk based drinks). I tried to dial it in this morning, but couldn't get past the acidity/brightness of it. They say I should be getting chocolate chip cookie and brown sugar from it. I did not get that. I tried a longer pre-infusion which helped some, but it just wasn't my jam. Have you tried the Thesis?
My taste sounds similar to yours. I do not like bright citrus flavors in my espresso.
Have you tried La Colombe? I really like the Nizza. Its like comfort food to me. Medium Roast, with some nuts and choco notes.

I also like Luzzo ... most others are either too roasted, or too bright.

Very happy to hear other suggestions for Medium Roast for espresso, more towards that Nutty Chocolate notes, than the bright acids.
We drink straight espresso 90% of the time.

thx

slybarman

#40: Post by slybarman replying to gzim »

I generally enjoy the flavor of Nizza as well though find it somewhat lighter on body and crema than some others.