Top 5 Coffee Roasters - 2019 - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Marcelnl

#21: Post by Marcelnl »

yet what about average prices per kilo?

It's all nice to talk about your top roasters but I happened to glance at Tim Wendelboe's online shop and could not but notice he is at the very top of the price list too, 165 NK for 250 g makes a whopping 16 euro, translating to 65 euro/kg, close to Nespresso price ranges.

is it THAT good ?

so why not add a price range for your best roasters? I know rasted is more expensive than buying greens, sure, yet price does come into play at some point.
LMWDP #483

Elliot

#22: Post by Elliot replying to Marcelnl »

My understanding with Tim's business is that he's actually paying quite a bit for beans in pursuit of the highest quality and also being truly "Fair Trade." Is it worth it? Tough to say. I do assume many of us are people with some degree of disposable income, as this is a far from inexpensive hobby, so if it truly is paying more wage to the farmer, I am good with that price and feel good about it. I can't verify, of course, but I've only heard good things about the man and don't imagine it's simply marketing.

I have three bags on the way and will report back.

Marcelnl

#23: Post by Marcelnl »

Thanks Elliot, I too try to buy at least direct trade in an attempt to improve the growers living conditions (which is difficult as there always is at least someone in between. I was definitly not suggesting it's a mere marketing ruse, so let's see.
LMWDP #483

Elliot

#24: Post by Elliot replying to Marcelnl »

Definitely did not think you were suggesting that. I am just a sceptic at heart. And work in marketing :mrgreen:

But Tim seems to be the real deal.

Marcelnl

#25: Post by Marcelnl »

LOL, curious to hear the results though, I have been toying with the thought to order some of his coffee but held off assuming shipping would be cost prohibitive...Now I know his price range THAT is not an issue :wink:

My list of roasters is hardly relevant as local to Netherlands, and besides that ; so far I haven't found one I wanted to stick with over home roasted stuff, although I had some prettty good beans shipped to me. I definitely am not in the same league as top roasters and probably suffer from being biased, somehow it's either the fun of learning along the way together with a pretty decent end product that swings me towards home roasted beans.
LMWDP #483

Elliot

#26: Post by Elliot »

Resurrecting this to add Square Mile in Jolly Old.
Personally, I haven't had issues with shipping speed and just got a new bag and it's seven days post roast. Probably right about time to get going with de-gassing anyway.

I have subscriptions with Square Mile and also Wendelboe, in addition to Cat & Cloud.

High on the list to try next is Howell and I keep hearing great things about Counter Culture.

badgerbimmer

#27: Post by badgerbimmer »

Chiswim_32796 wrote:1. Sump (MO)
2. Metric (IL)
3. Onyx (AR)
Kickapoo is Wisconsin, they are my current favorite

i'll also add:
Ruby Coffee
George Howell

Chiswim_32796

#28: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Oops. Duh, my bad. My local café carried Kickapoo when I lived in MN, totally spaced that they are actually located in Wisco. Either way, Kickapoo's café in Viroqua is gorgeous, and always worth a stop.

Elliot

#29: Post by Elliot »

Marcelnl wrote:LOL, curious to hear the results though, I have been toying with the thought to order some of his coffee but held off assuming shipping would be cost prohibitive...Now I know his price range THAT is not an issue :wink:

My list of roasters is hardly relevant as local to Netherlands, and besides that ; so far I haven't found one I wanted to stick with over home roasted stuff, although I had some prettty good beans shipped to me. I definitely am not in the same league as top roasters and probably suffer from being biased, somehow it's either the fun of learning along the way together with a pretty decent end product that swings me towards home roasted beans.
Just wanted to circle back on Wendelboe. Absolutely worth every penny. Best coffee I've tried to date.

Marcelnl

#30: Post by Marcelnl »

thanks! will give it a try someday then.
LMWDP #483