Top 5 Coffee Roasters - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
slybarman

#11: Post by slybarman » Oct 09, 2019, 9:56 am

Espresso_Junky wrote:Mine would be...

1. Me
2. Myself
3. I
4. Stockton Graham
5. Metropolis
Id be curious to hear how Metropolis is these days. There was a time when Redline was just sublime. One of the best cups of coffee I've ever had, then . . . not so much. Was very disappointing. Be interested to know if it has rebounded. I have encountered the same thing in the wine world, where a particular wine or producer has some amazing years, then it is crap for a while, then it is amazing again.

trunks235

#12: Post by trunks235 » Oct 09, 2019, 10:29 pm

1. Ceremony
2. Vigilante
3. Sweet bloom
4. 49th parallel
5. Counter culture

These aren't in any particular order. The first two are Maryland roasters so I use them frequently by default. That being said, I think they are both wonderful. Ceremony Mass Appeal and Vigilante Tin Lizzie always give me A+ espresso. Can't speak to their single origins as much. Sweet bloom and 49th are just awesome, always had wonderful experiences with their beans both for pour over and as espresso. Counter culture is on here before I have a soft spot for them. Hologram is always welcome and I love their single origins.

trunks235

#13: Post by trunks235 » Oct 09, 2019, 10:30 pm

I may have spoke too soon... I'd probably have to knock counter culture in favor of Heart.

MNate

#14: Post by MNate » Oct 09, 2019, 11:16 pm

I'd have to start with two that might not be the world's best Roasters but do consistent, enjoyable classic roasts at reasonable prices:
1. Redbird
2. Paradise

Then comes my current go-to:
3. Olympia

But then I'm out of my league, because I doubt my abilities could justify the cost, but I'll put them anyway:
4. George Howell

And everyone needs a local place they just have to support because they do good work and it's nice to have them around. Mine is:
5. Duluth Coffee Company

And Tim Wendleboe shouldn't count, right?! But I did have my Norwegian relative bring some when she visited us and, although I couldn't produce the shot I previously got in the store, it was really great.

spressomon

#15: Post by spressomon » Oct 10, 2019, 11:30 am

Typically my go to list of roasters:

Olympia
Kuma
Noble
Northbound
Barrington (they'd move up a slot or two if they'd offer more than just 12oz packages)
Runner up for 5th: Sterling.
No Espresso = Depresso

MntnMan62

#16: Post by MntnMan62 » Oct 10, 2019, 5:12 pm

Doesn't it make sense to buy from a roaster nearby so you can be assured that you are getting truly fresh roasted beans? I know lots of people who want to drink their coffee before they reach the 3 week point from roast date. I myself am on the hunt for a local roaster where I can be assured of when they were roasted. It seems there is a lot to consider. Quality of the green beans. Skill of the roaster. Roast date. Am I missing something?

slybarman

#17: Post by slybarman » replying to MntnMan62 » Oct 10, 2019, 5:32 pm

Depends if what is close by is any good. My local roaster is decent, but not amazing. I just got a bag from Lusso clear across the country and it arrived 3 days post-roast.

BaristaBob

#18: Post by BaristaBob » Oct 10, 2019, 8:37 pm

My constant go to...
1) Kaldi's (Espresso 700)
2) Intelligentsia (Black Cat Classic)

Rounding out my 5, in no particular order...
3) Klatch (so many to choose from)
4) George Howell (tried just this year...so may move up as time goes by)
5) Fieldstone (local roaster)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

thirdcrackfourthwave

#19: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave » Oct 10, 2019, 8:54 pm

MntnMan62 wrote:Doesn't it make sense to buy from a roaster nearby so you can be assured that you are getting truly fresh roasted beans? I know lots of people who want to drink their coffee before they reach the 3 week point from roast date. I myself am on the hunt for a local roaster where I can be assured of when they were roasted. It seems there is a lot to consider. Quality of the green beans. Skill of the roaster. Roast date. Am I missing something?
I was traveling and I went in a café. The coffee was already 10 days post roast. I have had the same experience in my 'coffee town--8 days post roast in the flagship café? Some roasters are sending stuff very shortly after they roast. Shipping time will be far less than 8-10 days.

tennisman03110

#20: Post by tennisman03110 » Oct 10, 2019, 9:44 pm

Most of these local to NC area but here goes.

1. Summit Coffee
2. Black And White
3. Perc Coffee
4. Counter Culture
5. Larry's Beans

I'd say I tend to stick to buying beans in person, so most of the bigger roasters or West Coast ones I have not tried. It appears I need to visit Portland and Seattle area for lots of other suggestions.