Sweet spot for Black Cat Analog Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jaybelknap

#1: Post by jaybelknap »

Anyone found a sweet spot for BLACK CAT ANALOG ESPRESSO

For regular black cat I've heard of 18g dose , 27 g out in 25-30 sec

Anything similar for the analog? I've been out of the game long enough I feel like I'm starting over with the basics with dialing in a shot. Could use an educated starting point.

Still using the gaggia classic with stock basket. An 18g dose really leaves a clear imprint of the shower screen. Thinking I should knock it back to 16g perhaps. Thoughts?

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob replying to jaybelknap »

Hi Jay,

I love this particular coffee, in fact I'm drinking it now. It's a dark chocolate bomb. On my BDB the parameters I use are:
18g in
40g out
25-30 sec (closer to 30 sec.)...total include 15 sec. preinfusion

I think the side of the bag says, 18g dose, 45g yield. Intelligentsia's website also said in 25-30 sec.

Best to you,
Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
jaybelknap (original poster)

#3: Post by jaybelknap (original poster) »

I recall the last time I had it I thought it made excellent lattes almost as if sugar were added. It's been awhile but I do remember it being a favorite for milk drinks.

I'd like to try your suggested preinfusion but unfortunately with my machine I don't have a solid way of going about that.

rktcyntst

#4: Post by rktcyntst »

BaristaBob wrote:Hi Jay,

I love this particular coffee, in fact I'm drinking it now. It's a dark chocolate bomb. On my BDB the parameters I use are:
18g in
40g out
25-30 sec (closer to 30 sec.)...total include 15 sec. preinfusion

I think the side of the bag says, 18g dose, 45g yield. Intelligentsia's website also said in 25-30 sec.

Best to you,
Bob
Bob,

Do you recall a temp setting for this shot?
Thanks!

BaristaBob

#5: Post by BaristaBob replying to rktcyntst »

200F
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by dparrish »

For latte/cappuccino I like a larger basket, and a ristretto shot for more syrupy sweetness. 20g in/26-30g out in around 30 sec., 200 F. I've learned to dose by bean type, roast, and taste rather than what directions may be given. Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference :D.
I will say thanks to those recommending this one-I'll be ordering it again :).

Rwbaker

#7: Post by Rwbaker »

For my Rancilio, 16g is the sweet spot for me.

Advertisement
pcwcecac

#8: Post by pcwcecac »

On my Silvia V6 with stock double basket in a bottomless PF, I do 14g in - 32g out (1:2.3) in 27 seconds.

As an aside, I was surprised how differently the Analog tasted compared to Black Cat Organic. The recipe above produced balanced shots with layered flavors for the Analog. But the same recipe (as well as others with higher doses / coarser grinds / lower ratios) would produce a harshness in BC Organic shots.

Have others experienced the same? How does the Analog compare with the Classic?

Me2

#9: Post by Me2 »

I typically do milk drinks. Didnt think the analog held up as well in milk as the regular black cat. Tried increase dose and tighter ratio, kind of meh.