Sumatra Coffee is Scarce

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ProsumMattFury

#1: Post by ProsumMattFury »

If you use a particular, distinctive, high-quality Sumatran coffee, you probably don't have it now or will run out soon.
If this hasn't happened to you, that's great.
Anyone been trying to replace Sumatra in blends? We're looking at Peruvians and past-crop naturals with nice results so far.
Real relationships with growers and the search for distinctive coffees often results in an increase in our blending and sensory skills.
So far we seem to miss the specific type of body our Sumatran was providing. The flavors and profiles are easier - the body is tougher.
Happy to help. Our roaster has serious skill and our green buyers have diverse ideas that often work.
Anyone have any ideas or would like some company while trying to rework a blend? Love to discuss.
Thanks.

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

Hybrido de Timor matches the body but doesn't have the lower acidity and earthy flavour. It's workable in a blend though. A very high quality neutral robusta can also match the body when used in small percentages. Again workable as long as it's not a major flavour component. If the taste is critical, sorry, there's no substitute for giling basah processing.

Alan

Advertisement
ProsumMattFury (original poster)

#3: Post by ProsumMattFury (original poster) »

I really appreciate your reply Allen. I gotta think science, not country.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Is there some specific Sumatran you need? Last time I ordered, Burman Coffee Traders had Sumatran Mandheling in stock, as they usually do. I buy it there all the time for my espresso blend.

ProsumMattFury (original poster)

#5: Post by ProsumMattFury (original poster) »

Thank you for the offer. Ours comes from specific groups. We are fine being out of it. We've actually run out every year. The most our families have gotten on a ship was 80 bags.