Stumptown Light roast

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jinrowang

#1: Post by jinrowang »

Hi, I came across Stumptown coffees in Target. But there is no way to find out which blend is 'LIGHT' roast.
I've been having SB-Veranda and was told it's not true light roast, but medium to medium-dark instead.
I would like to know if Stumptown blend have any true light roast coffee.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

My experience with Target (or any other retailer of mass-market coffees) is that the roast dates are often over a month ago. Although well-packaged coffees that you're likely to find there are probably OK up to about a month from roast (reference: https://squaremileblog.com/2020/02/21/r ... freshness/), you're already in the place where the flavor and extraction is changing significantly.

Stumptown, Intelligentsia, and some other brands that used to be independent are now under https://www.jdepeets.com/ and may not have the same attributes as they did as independents. I can't comment from personal experience as I haven't had their coffees since they were acquired or had a majority stake purchased.

In general, anything labeled as "for espresso" in a mass-market setting will be medium dark, dark, or, well, burnt.

There isn't really an "official" way to tell a coffee's roast level from the bag, even with specialty roasters. It seems that one group of people want the word "medium" in the description somewhere, and others want the word "dark".

If you see a photo of the beans and they look shiny, I'd call them "dark" and be close enough to distinguish coffees that have roast-dominant flavor profiles from those that don't.

You can sometimes guess by looking at the flavor descriptors. Floral, tea-like, or "light" fruity flavors tend to lead off light roasts. Chocolate and nuts tend to be darker roasts (some coffees can have those notes in a light roast, but you're unlikely to find them in mass-market distribution). In between you get lighter caramel-like or cooked-fruit flavors, or "dark" fruits like cherries.

I find the Counter Culture flavor wheel to be a good guide to the words the marketing people pick.

For better-quality light roasts, you might want to consider one of the smaller roasters (mail order works surprisingly well) over what you can by in a local grocery store.

Advertisement
jinrowang (original poster)

#3: Post by jinrowang (original poster) »

Thanks for clarification! Yes, it's almost impossible to find real Light roast from lkcal markes around me... Like you said, my best approach will be to order online :) Thanks!