Some freezing coffee questions

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
thnderrooster

#1: Post by thnderrooster »

Is it better to freeze beans instead of the grounds? Right now I have a not so good grinder, so I think I will go to a store that has a good grinder and grind the beans and freeze them. I plan on getting a LIDO though and after that I probably will just freeze the beans.

If you do not have access to a vacuum sealer will just putting the coffee in the freezer work almost as good? I have seen where some people would fill up a Mason jar and put the jar in the freezer. Does it matter if the jar is full or not? Or if it is whole bean or ground coffee? I also was thinking about putting the coffee in Ziploc bags and squeezing out the air.

What about degassing? From what I have seen, if you are freezing you don't worry about degassing. Is that correct? I have heard of Mason jar lids with degassing valves, where can you buy them? If you are not going to freeze you should store the coffee in a container with a degassing valve right? If the CO2 is trapped in the container does that harm the coffee or take anything away from the coffee like taste etc..?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Do a search under "freezing coffee" & you will get 10 pages on threads that answer all of your questions over & over.
LMWDP 267

thnderrooster (original poster)

#3: Post by thnderrooster (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

If doing a search would have answered my questions I would have not asked ty.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

It's all been discussed many, many, many times before which is one reason no one is wasting their time answering them again.
LMWDP 267

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Veteran members contribute a great deal to this site. And this topic has been discussed extensively over the years. More often than not, they are more than willing to help give advice when new members show a bit of diligence in researching their topic before starting a new thread.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

Sometime people are too lazy to do a search. Sometimes people aren't well educated on the use of search engines. I just tried to use the built-in search engine and it didn't work too well. Probably I don't know how to use it. But I know how to use google well enough. The following syntax searches this site quite well (possibly better than the built-in search tool):

"coffee freezing site:home-barista.com"

That search produced results of many threads that I know have valuable information as I've read them in the past. The next part involves reading through them to see if they answer the questions. This is another place where people are sometimes lazy.

It's possible that after reading everything one can find here and elsewhere there is still no consensus on the answer to a question, and then it's possibly worth asking again, but rephrased in a way to generate something useful rather than repetition of disagreement. But the questions asked above are answerable (and have been answered) without too much contention.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by RockyIII »

John,

I have never frozen any coffee so cannot share any firsthand experience, but I did want to reply and say welcome to the forum! As others have pointed out, there is a lot of information available on the topic.

I guess if I was going to store roasted coffee beans beyond a couple of weeks, I would think about freezing them, but what works best for me is to buy beans weekly and use them during the second week after roasting. I store them in the original bags in a cabinet at room temperature until pouring them in the grinder hopper. Of course this is not helping with your question about what to do if you don't have a grinder.

Rocky

MNate

#8: Post by MNate »

I don't think your going to notice a big difference any way you go about freezing your coffee (just freeze it in any of those options you prefer, even try a few different ones over time). But I do think getting a grinder would be a huge positive change. The Lido would be excellent.

Enjoy!

h3yn0w

#9: Post by h3yn0w »

Freeze the beans not the grounds. Ground coffee starts to degrade very quickly. I'm not sure freezing will help much and it's not a best practice.

escape

#10: Post by escape »

I think most of the past threads on here are about freezing beans, not grounds.

The general advice is to keep the beans whole and not ground until you are ready to brew them. Otherwise, you are losing a lot of flavor, at which point freezing or not will not make much difference. As others suggested, the real answer to your problem is to buy a grinder.