Single origin espressos to start out with

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
gr2020

#1: Post by gr2020 »

I'm a relative newbie compared to most of you. I usually drink "comfort" blends, and I think my favorite so far has been Boxcar Stella. I just ordered a bag of the Caffe Lusso espresso blend from the "favorite espresso blends" post.

I'd like to try some single origins, but I'm not sure exactly where to start. The closest I've probably come is the Black Cat Classic blend a couple of months ago, which was _much_ sweeter than I'm used to, but I was intrigued. In terms of flavors, I think I'd prefer more berries, as opposed to lemon sorts of flavors, but I'm game to try anything once!

Are there any currently-available SO's you'd recommend I could try that are relatively easy to pull (idiot proof would be perfect - ha)? Or barring that, maybe any specific regions to start with?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

For a single origin, Ethiopia is a spectacular place to start, and if you're seeking berries, consider a natural processed coffee from there.

Many well prepared Brazil's are going to be easy, sweet and forgiving with varying amounts of fruitiness and "comfort food" levels of (lower) acidity.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

^ this! Many to recommend...but Redbird's Ethiopia Wote Konga (natural) a is a bargain IMHO and wonderful as espresso.
No Espresso = Depresso

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn replying to spressomon »

I've been thinking about picking up some of Jeff's single origins.. are they roasted as dark as the Red Bird espresso is?

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC replying to LukeFlynn »

It won't be Jeff's, he sold Redbird to a new owner.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

TomC wrote:It won't be Jeff's, he sold Redbird to a new owner.
Wow, that's news to me.. When did that happen? I really liked what he had going on. Do you know if the quality has changed?

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B replying to LukeFlynn »

Several months back, although Jeff stayed around a long while to train the new owners on his methods and secrets. From various posts, it looked like there was a learning curve that affected quality for a while, but more recent reports are positive. I've been trying several new (to me) roasters this year and haven't ordered from Red Bird for a while, but a couple of my workmates who do have said the quality of the SOs is excellent.
- John

LMWDP # 577

spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

LukeFlynn wrote:I've been thinking about picking up some of Jeff's single origins.. are they roasted as dark as the Red Bird espresso is?
I have not ordered Redbird since the new owner's took the reigns. However Wote Konga was FC/FC+. Vertigo offers, or at least offered, a Wote Konga roasted much lighter...and Chocolate Fish Roaster in Sacramento currently has Wote Konga...lighter roast.
No Espresso = Depresso

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

I would suggest that you try some Ethiopian coffees that you haven't roasted yourself before you commit. Some of us :oops: :oops: are sadly lacking in the gene for appreciating the very thing in Ethiopian coffees that seem to make them stellar to others. I spent a lot of time and a lot of $$ investing in Ethiopian coffees and kept blaming my roasting skills until I discovered that I just plain do not like them. It's an embarrassment in light of the riches that our current green bean sources offer in this obviously wonderful coffee. But...it happens.

Try some coffees from reputable roasters before you dive in and try to make something you might not like into something that you do.

I am not dissing Ethiopian coffees or any of the suggestions that they are stellar. You just have to like them.

SJM

#10: Post by SJM »

SJM wrote:I would suggest that you try some Ethiopian coffees that you haven't roasted yourself before you commit. Some of us :oops: are sadly lacking in the gene for appreciating the very thing in Ethiopian coffees that seem to make them stellar to others. I spent a lot of time and a lot of $$ investing in Ethiopian coffees and kept blaming my roasting skills until I discovered that I just plain do not like them. It's an embarrassment in light of the riches that our current green bean sources offer in this obviously wonderful coffee. But...it happens.

Try some coffees from reputable roasters before you dive in and try to make something you might not like into something that you do.

I am not dissing Ethiopian coffees or any of the suggestions that they are stellar. You just have to like them.
Oh dear: I just re-read this and realize that you are not asking about beans to roast. I'd delete the post altogether, but that isn't an option, so just let me reiterate :oops: :oops: