Should you freeze coffee in their sealed bags

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
billgiannelli

#1: Post by billgiannelli »

when freezing beans, should you freeze them in their sealed bags they can in if they have not been opened yet?
thanks
Bill

MNate

#2: Post by MNate »

I do all the time. I figure it's as good as anything else to freeze in and that way I don't open it to let in new air since I don't have to transfer it to another container. Opinions will abound though.

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

If a heat-sealed bag, probably as good as you can get without a vacuum sealer. If an old-school, roll-top bag, I'd seal them in something first.

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

I subscribe to the opinion that exposing the beans to oxygen just to repackage them is a mistake.

People worry about the valve failing in the freezer. You could tape the valve or put the bag inside a good ziplock, a freezer ziplock.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

I tape over the valve and just try to get to them so they don't go more than 4-5 weeks past roast. Take them out at least 3-4 hours before opening the bag. Preferably overnight.

billgiannelli (original poster)

#6: Post by billgiannelli (original poster) »

so, stupid question, the heat sealed bags have a valve on the back. is this just for the vacuum seal? or does it let co2 out?
thanks
Bill

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Typically to let CO2 out.

+1 on letting the beans come up to room temperature overnight before opening the bag and transferring them to your room-temperature, air-tight storage container.

Advertisement
Freddofl

#8: Post by Freddofl »

I vacuum seal them first because you don't always know how they were packed - was the bag purged with inert gas or simply just sealed with ambient air inside?

billgiannelli (original poster)

#9: Post by billgiannelli (original poster) »

Good point! you want all the air out, right? inert gas would be best though.....

BuckleyT

#10: Post by BuckleyT »

No problem just throwing them in the freezer. Stale reactions are modulated by temperature* much more than the partial pressure of oxygen*. We tape over the valve so that it does not get frozen fast into the 'open' position.

*To the extent that we can change them.

B
I would assume that CO2 production replaces much of the oxygen content which seeps out through the valve.