Shipping costs

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

I just was ready to place an order for what has been added to my "buy again" list of tried & true or tried and forget. Olympia's Big Truck & Sweetheart blends are very good. Unfortunately don't know if it is there or everywhere where shipping has gone up crazily. Shipping for two 12oz. bags is $13.25. I don't freeze beans (so whether you agree or disagree with me on this, not the topic). I only go through about 34-36grams of beans per day---so the free shipping on 3 lbs. just would not work for me on the freshness factor with my usage.

I like to switch off on my beans for variety/flavor. I do know that I enjoy B&W Classic & Traditional. I do know that one gets free shipping at $25 or more at B&W. I think Nossa has free shipping if order is $35 (I think).

Anyone know of shipping deals with great medium roasts for espresso that you have used & love? Thanks.

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

Lots of good roasters offer "free" shipping.

I just loaded up a cart with those two bags you wanted and it said the shipping cost was $0. I tried a Milwaukee address and got the same thing, no charge for shipping. Weird.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to jpender »

I just talked to Olympia after I tried putting two 12oz. bags in the cart & got $13.25 shipping. They told me that it is free if you order 3 lbs. or more. I can't order that much at one time.

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

I went back to try it again and I got a different website. WTF? The first one had all of their coffees and they were pushing a subscription. I had to deselect that and choose "buy one time" for each bag. Then I had to deselect "2" bags and select "1". There was no shipping charge.

The website I'm getting now doesn't look anything like that. I have no idea what I was looking at before. So weird.

Anyway, I agree that $13 is kind of a lot for two bags. I wouldn't do it unless the total price is still reasonable. Or I really wanted that coffee. Lots of other places.

#5: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to jpender »

Yeah, a little disappointed as those were pretty good. I've tried quite a bit over the last 6 months or so. I pretty much only like Medium or *some* Medium-Dark, but not Dark. Ones I've kept track of that I like and/or like A LOT are (not in any order) B&W Classic, Traditional, Olympia Big Truck, Sweetheart, Nossa's Full Cycle, Verve Sermon (but too many shells, so won't anymore), Barrington Gold & local Hawthorne's Revival.

I keep on the hunt. I like variety. I used to only like chocolate & nuts & caramel flavors popping up, but now I like it more balanced with some fruit.

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

I was trying to figure out what it was I saw before. I still don't know what it was (my browser history was cleared) but I did come across a website (seattlecoffeegear.com) in Seattle, which is basically where Olympia is located, that also sells their coffee. They charge the same per bag and, for those two bags, offer $6 "expedited" delivery to a residential Milwaukee address. The website looks different but maybe that's what I'd seen. It's not the roaster so maybe the coffee isn't as fresh?

#7: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to jpender »

Yeah, probably older beans. I got my grinder through them, got my espresso machine through Clive. Clive is great with cust. serv. & sends beans with your machine. Beggers can't be choosy, but the beans were about 28days post roast. So, yah, thinking I'll stick with getting beans directly through the roaster.

mbbrew

#8: Post by mbbrew »

Shipping has gone up along with minimums for free shipping from a lot of roasters. I've taken to splitting orders with my friends when I can to meet free shipping, especially when it is, like you mentioned, almost as much as a bag of coffee to ship. Some of my local roasters have improved in quality so I may end up buying more of their beans going forward too.

nameisjoey

#9: Post by nameisjoey »

You wanna know what's crazy? Try going over to Cat & Cloud - their blend The Answer is really good but they just upped the price on it over $10 for the 5lb bag and now it is currently $110 for 5lb's and you STILL have to pay shipping bringing the total cost for 5lb's well over $120.

I understand they probably source great coffee, pay decent prices, and being a good business in California have high overhead - but that price is really high and doesn't add any value for someone who wants to save on purchasing large volumes.

#10: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

mbbrew wrote:Shipping has gone up along with minimums for free shipping from a lot of roasters. I've taken to splitting orders with my friends when I can to meet free shipping, especially when it is, like you mentioned, almost as much as a bag of coffee to ship. Some of my local roasters have improved in quality so I may end up buying more of their beans going forward too.
That's a great idea if you can do it. Everyone I know either drinks those pod things with a Keurig or Folger's in your cup. In other words, not that important what they drink like it is with me.