Shipping costs - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nameisjoey

#51: Post by nameisjoey »

chanty 77 wrote:The "recipe" on Cat& Cloud's site calls for over 19 grams of coffee in. Most of my beans would be at the most 18.5g. I've been doing 25-30 seconds out on most blends. What temp. do you set for this one? Thanks.
Start out at maybe 203. If it's bitter, reduce. If it's sour, increase.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#52: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to nameisjoey »

Thanks.

Nik

#53: Post by Nik »

Here are three of Revels current blends. The only one that I have tried is Ethiospro. It was given a 94 rating by Coffee Review and I bought it several times. As you can see all of the Ethiopian beans are recognized as great sources for Ethiopian coffee. I liked it very much.

Both of the other two sound good to me but I haven't tried Throttle or Revel I have bought quite a few coffees from Revel and all have been first class. H The owner's name is Gary and he is personable and has a real gift in selecting beans, blending and roasting. I consistently get deliveries in 2-3 days from Montana to North Carolina. There may be others that do it but he always sends samples of other beans for me to try. The last sample was trheir Yemen and it is a high quality one. I added three grams to each shot of Revel's Kith-Kin and took this already exceptional blend to a new level. is the only roaster that I ever seen that blends a high grade Kenya bean with a high grade Ethiopian Wush-Wush(96 rated). Highly recommend this one as well.

Ethiospro is a blend composed of naturally processed (aka dry processed) heirloom cultivars carefully grown and processed by various smallholder farmers in the Shakiso, Guji, Oromia, Sidama regions of Ethiopia at elevations between 1800-2200 meters.

Throttle is a heavy bodied blend of washed and natural coffees from Africa and the Americas with notes of bittersweet chocolate, raw sugars, dark caramel and blackberry. Great for espresso.

REVEL....A balanced blend for espresso and drip of washed and natural coffees from Africa and the Americas with notes of dark chocolate, caramel, citrus and sweet fruits.

Hope you have as good of an experience with Revel as I have had.

#54: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to Nik »

Thanks! Will definitely check out the Revel.

#55: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

nameisjoey wrote:Start out at maybe 203. If it's bitter, reduce. If it's sour, increase.
I see the recipe for The Answer calls for 19.2g of beans. That seems like a lot. What do you typically put in for that blend? Thanks.

BodieZoffa

#56: Post by BodieZoffa »

CSME9 wrote:$16-$19 for 10-12oz, time to rethink home roasting.
Uh yeah as I've been at it going on 6 yrs and my only regret was not starting it sooner. Coffees I like from a few vendors end up costing me around $8/lb total once I factor in cost of green, weight loss during roasting, shipping, bit of electricity, etc. I source green I know I will like, dial it in during the roasting process, let it mellow out, devour and repeat. Of course home roasting isn't for everyone, but I like what I'm able to achieve far better than anything I had ever bought from any artisan roaster in the past and saving at least 50% in the process. Ends up being an excuse to consume more if anything!

BodieZoffa

#57: Post by BodieZoffa »

chanty 77 wrote:I see the recipe for The Answer calls for 19.2g of beans. That seems like a lot. What do you typically put in for that blend? Thanks.
Honestly don't see the point for trying to follow any given recipe. Taste is subjective, there is lots of variation in equipment, etc. Just dial things in to suit YOU and ignore the rest. I currently shoot for around a 1:1 in a 50-60 second time frame with full city range batches.

BodieZoffa

#58: Post by BodieZoffa »

Nik wrote:Here are three of Revels current blends. The only one that I have tried is Ethiospro. It was given a 94 rating by Coffee Review and I bought it several times. As you can see all of the Ethiopian beans are recognized as great sources for Ethiopian coffee. I liked it very much.

Both of the other two sound good to me but I haven't tried Throttle or Revel I have bought quite a few coffees from Revel and all have been first class. H The owner's name is Gary and he is personable and has a real gift in selecting beans, blending and roasting. I consistently get deliveries in 2-3 days from Montana to North Carolina. There may be others that do it but he always sends samples of other beans for me to try. The last sample was trheir Yemen and it is a high quality one. I added three grams to each shot of Revel's Kith-Kin and took this already exceptional blend to a new level. is the only roaster that I ever seen that blends a high grade Kenya bean with a high grade Ethiopian Wush-Wush(96 rated). Highly recommend this one as well.

Ethiospro is a blend composed of naturally processed (aka dry processed) heirloom cultivars carefully grown and processed by various smallholder farmers in the Shakiso, Guji, Oromia, Sidama regions of Ethiopia at elevations between 1800-2200 meters.

Throttle is a heavy bodied blend of washed and natural coffees from Africa and the Americas with notes of bittersweet chocolate, raw sugars, dark caramel and blackberry. Great for espresso.

REVEL....A balanced blend for espresso and drip of washed and natural coffees from Africa and the Americas with notes of dark chocolate, caramel, citrus and sweet fruits.

Hope you have as good of an experience with Revel as I have had.
For one thing, I never read into reviews as it's merely opinion, but can anybody really take scores posted by that guy seriously? To each their own, but whatever!

nameisjoey

#59: Post by nameisjoey »

chanty 77 wrote:I see the recipe for The Answer calls for 19.2g of beans. That seems like a lot. What do you typically put in for that blend? Thanks.
I almost always dose my coffee in the 18-19g range. For The Answer I followed their recipe pretty much exactly for the majority of the bag with great results. It gave a nice syrupy body that I really enjoyed.

Just do what you normally do and see how it tastes :)

#60: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

BodieZoffa wrote:Honestly don't see the point for trying to follow any given recipe. Taste is subjective, there is lots of variation in equipment, etc. Just dial things in to suit YOU and ignore the rest. I currently shoot for around a 1:1 in a 50-60 second time frame with full city range batches.
Only reason I asked was because I like to have a "starting" point on a brand new espresso for possibly less waste initially. I typically try to make an educated guess on the roast of the beans (all Medium for me) and googling to see where others might have their starting point as far as grams, and dosing.