Scott Rao starts Prodigal Coffee - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Capuchin Monk

#11: Post by Capuchin Monk »

kpmd2000 wrote:you've obviously never tried Rao's sauce
I haven't because I make my own tomato sauce at home just like I do my own roasting. Maybe it's time to pick one up and see what the hubbup is all about. That's if this is same Rao. :? :?:

Nate42

#12: Post by Nate42 »

I had no idea Scott Rao was originally from Amherst. I work in Northampton these days (very close to Amherst). I guess the Rao's cafes have changed their name, but there is still a Rao's Coffee Roasting company in nearby Hadley that I drive by regularly. I had no idea it was THAT Rao, but I guess he no longer has any association with them.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#13: Post by baldheadracing replying to Nate42 »

He's not. IIRC, he scouted locations throughout the USA but chose Amherst way back then because there was a relatively large college population and he found a good, inexpensive location that was convenient for students. (He talked about it on a podcast - not sure if it was his or Cat & Cloud's.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

kpmd2000

#14: Post by kpmd2000 »

Capuchin Monk wrote:I haven't because I make my own tomato sauce at home just like I do my own roasting. Maybe it's time to pick one up and see what the hubbup is all about. That's if this is same Rao. :? :?:
homemade is the best, but Rao's is nearly as good and all you have to do is crack open a jar. That said, no relation to Scott Rao. Just a famous NY Italian restaurant

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by Milligan »

kpmd2000 wrote: you've obviously never tried Rao's sauce
Obviously is a strong word... I've had it. It's good, no doubt. I just don't care that much about my tomato/Italian sauces. To each their own! I make my own sauces for Asian and Mexican meals. I'm not a big pasta person in the first place so eh.

Capuchin Monk

#16: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:I'm not a big pasta person in the first place so eh.
Have you tried pasta in Italy? :mrgreen:

SJM

#17: Post by SJM »

kpmd2000 wrote:homemade is the best, but Rao's is nearly as good and all you have to do is crack open a jar. That said, no relation to Scott Rao. Just a famous NY Italian restaurant
And the Arriabiata is better than the Marinara :-))))

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Folks, this is about a new Scott Rao offering, a coffee topic. Can we hold the sauce please?

His new venture will appeal to many home roasters in a couple of ways. It looks like he's going to feature washed coffees (at least that's my sense if his pre-announcement), and he's partnering with an importer to have a unique selection of greens, so we'll be able to taste his roasting style done well and can try our own versions with some of those greens.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!
★ Helpful