Scarlet City Warp Drive

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Mar 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Was in the Yay Area and picked up a couple bags on the way to the airport. Haven't seen much ado about Scarlet City Warp Drive extraction parameters. Don't want to waste beans dialing.

What are folks using for g in / g out/ secs / brew temp?

Chatted with them and they're so good and familiar with their beans it's all visual/volumetric/ESP. Jen did say their brew temp is 203.5, use 20-22g basket, best after 4-5 days rest and pull reistretto shots.

Cheers!

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Mar 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

I'm going with a recommendation I read in another HB thread on Warp Drive, 20 gram dose, 20 g out at 203°.

I just pulled a shot a minute ago - the grind was a bit tight and so took 37 sec for 20 g. This very closely replicates the espresso I had at their cafe in Emeryville (I'm pretty sure they pull slow, drippy shots). FWIW, Berkeley Bowl sells Warp Drive; I had a friend pick up a bag for me on Sat that had been roasted two days prior (now 5 days post roast).
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

def

Postby def » Mar 12, 2019, 9:35 pm

It's been a while since I pulled warp drive, but I remember that it is pretty dark roasted. If you get bitter, then turn down the temperature and reduce espresso yield. 203-204 sounds high to me for such a dark, sweet espresso blend. It should not be hard to find that dark chocolate flavor quickly.

5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Mar 12, 2019, 10:59 pm

DaveB wrote:I'm going with a recommendation I read in another HB thread on Warp Drive, 20 gram dose, 20 g out at 203°.

I just pulled a shot a minute ago - the grind was a bit tight and so took 37 sec for 20 g. This very closely replicates the espresso I had at their cafe in Emeryville (I'm pretty sure they pull slow, drippy shots). FWIW, Berkeley Bowl sells Warp Drive; I had a friend pick up a bag for me on Sat that had been roasted two days prior (now 5 days post roast).

What are you pulling on?

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Mar 13, 2019, 1:01 am

def wrote:203-204 sounds high to me for such a dark, sweet espresso blend.

When I was at Scarlet City I asked the barista about the temp and she checked the La Marzocco and said it was set at 208°(!).
Perhaps the display was faulty and it was really set at 203°?

5280grindz wrote:What are you pulling on?

The BDB. I can barely get 14 grams into the La Pavoni double basket. :D
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Mar 19, 2019, 9:46 pm

Had to toss first couple shots. They were pulling way too fast on my Synchronika with IMS E&B Competition 20-22g basket. Surprising considering this is a darker roast.

Dialed down the Mignon Specialita another 1/2 step which resulted in 20g/20g in 25 secs. Still a bit fast, good crema, not as much chocolate as I anticipated but balanced.

Will take grinder down another 1/2 step to "1ish", drop brew temp to 195F (water boils at 202F here) and hopefully I'll land at 30-32 with lots of chocolate.

How else are folks pulling shots?

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Mar 21, 2019, 8:40 am

5280grindz wrote:Had to toss first couple shots. They were pulling way too fast on my Synchronika with IMS E&B Competition 20-22g basket. Surprising considering this is a darker roast.

Dialed down the Mignon Specialita another 1/2 step which resulted in 20g/20g in 25 secs. Still a bit fast, good crema, not as much chocolate as I anticipated but balanced.

Will take grinder down another 1/2 step to "1ish", drop brew temp to 195F (water boils at 202F here) and hopefully I'll land at 30-32 with lots of chocolate.

How else are folks pulling shots?

Perhaps oddly, I'm finding the opposite with Warp Drive: I need to grind a fair lot coarser than even my normal medium-dark roast go-to, Mr. Espresso Organic Neapolitan, with both single (9g) and double (21g) shots, the former in a LM single basket, the latter in an EPNW 22g basket. I did get in touch with the roaster for general advice on parameters, and she replied, "We brew at 203.5F on the Linea and use triple baskets, about 20-21 grams." I'm assuming those are VSTs, but am confirming. I'm using a lever machine with the pressurestat set to an approximate tad below 200F, and this is one of those coffees that lever machines seem to have been invented to pull. I don't feel I've quite dialed-in my shots yet, and am already experiencing awesome depth and complexity. One of the best medium-dark comfort-style coffees I've ever enjoyed -- evidently one of the more forgiving -- and certainly appears to be destined for our regular rotation.
- John

LMWDP # 577

5280grindz

Postby 5280grindz » Mar 21, 2019, 9:38 pm

Balthazar_B wrote:Perhaps oddly, I'm finding the opposite with Warp Drive: I need to grind a fair lot coarser than even my normal medium-dark roast,

One of the best medium-dark comfort-style coffees I've ever enjoyed -- evidently one of the more forgiving -- and certainly appears to be destined for our regular rotation.

I had an aha moment after your comment and realized I'm dealing with a paradigm shift. Usually pull normale vs ristretto. Though the synchronika pulls at over 9 bar and just has the standard E61 3 second mechanical "preinfusion". I don't have the kind of control one has with lever, Slayer, Decent, R91, etc... when Decent Espresso comes out with v1.3 I'll be all over it.

Comfort style is a GREAT description for Warp Drive. It has super silky mouthfeel and I haven't pulled a horrible shot even with the fast ones, def agree on it being a forgiving blend.

Temp/altitude/barometer adjusted boiling temp today is 201 so I dropped brew temp to 195, tightened the grind a bit after loosening (1now 1/4 on Specilita), pulling 20g/20g in 32-35 seconds. Made a great mocha today.

Let me know what you hear from Jen.

Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » Mar 22, 2019, 3:42 pm

5280grindz wrote:Let me know what you hear from Jen.

I'm glad I asked. They use "lowly" EPNW 21g baskets at their shop:

https://www.espressoparts.com/espresso- ... ter-basket

Similar to the ridgeless EPNW basket I prefer to use for doubles with darker roasts:

https://www.espressoparts.com/espresso- ... ess-basket
- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Mar 22, 2019, 4:12 pm

Balthazar_B wrote:I'm using a lever machine with the pressurestat set to an approximate tad below 200F, and this is one of those coffees that lever machines seem to have been invented to pull. I don't feel I've quite dialed-in my shots yet, and am already experiencing awesome depth and complexity.

200*F boiler temp or is that measured on the group surface?
LMWDP 267