Scarlet City Warp Drive - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

#11: Post by Balthazar_B »

JohnB. wrote:200*F boiler temp or is that measured on the group surface?
Heh, well as you know, John, it's a slightly inexact science with a Bosco. :)

With how my pressurestat is set, the boiler lazily oscillates between 1.2- 1.3 bar. The kitchen at daybreak here is still on the quite cool side, so in that first chilly hour, I've found goosing the temp via letting off a bit of steam such that the boiler will reheat towards 1.4 bar, will provide a temperature that I estimate at close to 198 F in the basket, based on taste. Later on, when the group hasn't been used for a while, just a short flush to bring the grouphead up to temp just before I commence my grind/tamp routine works well.

I honestly haven't felt a compulsion to instrument the Bosco -- even with temp strips -- since, over time, I seem to have developed a Spidey sense of what it's doing, particularly in relation to coffees I've come to know pretty well. I focus on getting the dose, grind, and preinfusion right, and then I let the Bosco just do its uncanny magic dribbling exquisite black honey into the cup.
- John

LMWDP # 577

IMAWriter

#12: Post by IMAWriter »

5280grindz wrote:Had to toss first couple shots. They were pulling way too fast on my Synchronika with IMS E&B Competition 20-22g basket. Surprising considering this is a darker roast.

Dialed down the Mignon Specialita another 1/2 step which resulted in 20g/20g in 25 secs. Still a bit fast, good crema, not as much chocolate as I anticipated but balanced.

Will take grinder down another 1/2 step to "1ish", drop brew temp to 195F (water boils at 202F here) and hopefully I'll land at 30-32 with lots of chocolate.

How else are folks pulling shots?
YOU guys are pulling 1-1 shots? I'd have a heart attack!! haha. I had success with that blend a while back (on a Strega) with a 21 gram dose in a EPNW triple basket (don't remember the temp) and a 35 gram yield, if memory serves.

Balthazar_B

#13: Post by Balthazar_B replying to IMAWriter »

I've gone from 21g to 20g in that EPNW basket with Warp Drive, as I needed to coarsen the grind to the point headroom was getting a little more shallow than optimal. One less gram and I easily get the right balance of grind, volume, and headroom that works beautifully.
- John

LMWDP # 577

5280grindz (original poster)

#14: Post by 5280grindz (original poster) »

IMAWriter wrote:YOU guys are pulling 1-1 shots? I'd have a heart attack!! haha.
Milk based drinks for me (latte/mocha).

Quick update. Grinding 20g fine for syrupy drippy extraction at 196F over 35-38 seconds yielding 20g delicious shots with IMS E&B Competition 18-20g (#26) basket/Synchronika.

I just rcvd Craig Lyn/LWW blind shaker, which I'm spinning with a pullman chisel followed by Decent leveling tamper and am very pleased with the results. Pucks are even better settled than WDT.

IMAWriter

#15: Post by IMAWriter replying to 5280grindz »

"Me"..
I am certainly sure with all that paraphernalia you are getting thick syrupy shots. In milk, I suppose that concentrated a shot with 6-7oz of milk would be delicious, if a bit potent!
It's just the 1-1 extraction for a straight shot that had me shivering. :lol:

5280grindz (original poster)

#16: Post by 5280grindz (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

I had to move on after a couple weeks. It is a great blend but my palate got fatigued, it's heavy. I typically like medium roasts on the lighter side. I vacuum sealed the beans in 6 oz batches, so next time I pull them out I may pull between ristretto and normale.

def

#17: Post by def »

5280grindz wrote:Was in the Yay Area and picked up a couple bags on the way to the airport. Haven't seen much ado about Scarlet City Warp Drive extraction parameters. Don't want to waste beans dialing.

What are folks using for g in / g out/ secs / brew temp?

Chatted with them and they're so good and familiar with their beans it's all visual/volumetric/ESP. Jen did say their brew temp is 203.5, use 20-22g basket, best after 4-5 days rest and pull reistretto shots.

Cheers!
It took a while before I was able to order some Warp Drive from Jen @ Scarlett City Roasting. I set my Synchronika to 200F, 18g in, 32 grams out, and the first shot was near perfect but a little fast. After adjusting grind to get about 30-35 second extraction for 30g out, These shots tasted very nice. I like 28g to 30g out with 18g in.

This coffee is the closest thing to Naples, Italy espresso that I have tasted in the US. I just returned from a trip to Naples, and I got used to drinking several doppio caffès each day.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

FYI, Scarlet City Coffee Roasting roasts on, but the Espresso Bar in Oakland closed last week. I'll miss the ristretto shots, the Star Trek, and the pinball machines.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC replying to yakster »

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Commercial rents in the bay area must be a heck of a thing to contend with, not to mention all the overhead/insurance etc associated with having a brick and mortar business. I'd only been in the cafe about 4 times over the years (one of our meetups together!) but each time I've been in there, it was never really crowded.

I'm mainly glad that they'll continue roasting operations, because she's incredible at what she does.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

DaveB

#20: Post by DaveB »

yakster wrote:FYI, Scarlet City Coffee Roasting roasts on, but the Espresso Bar in Oakland closed last week. I'll miss the ristretto shots, the Star Trek, and the pinball machines.
Wow, that's sad to hear. Glad I was able to check it out a couple months ago.

Occasionally a friend who lives in the East Bay will pick up a bag for me at Berkeley Bowl; it's always within a few days of the roast date.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet