Saka Caffè in the States - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

#61: Post by Balthazar_B »

cskorton wrote:J
I'd love to try an IMS basket or some other higher quality lower dose basket. It does seem to make a noticeable difference.
Take a look at the precision baskets that Espresso Parts sells under their own label. FWIW, we find they work a little better with darker roasts than do VST baskets. Now if you want really low dose, you can look into La Marzocco single baskets -- which would necessitate getting a funnel and 41mm tamper...but worth the effort, IMHO. ;)
- John

LMWDP # 577

joe mendez

#62: Post by joe mendez »

TomC wrote: I've been bugging Phil at Caffe Lusso to make a 70/30 or 60/40 Arabica/Robusta blend recently.
I've had the GMC many times and thinks its very good and its one of my go to's for making lattes in the morning but I feel that for it to be great it would be nice if it was more complex with thicker crema, maybe some high end robusta would make it better.

Could the Lionshare be used for latte's (8-10oz milk)? I dose the GMC at 20g with that much milk.

drgary
Team HB

#63: Post by drgary »

This thread is about Saka Caffe, so let's please keep the thread on topic. There are many mentions of GMC and Lionshare on this site that can be found with a site search.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

slybarman

#64: Post by slybarman »

Sadly, I used up the last of my Saka this morning. Back to Cartapani for now

drgary
Team HB

#65: Post by drgary »

I had another delicious shot of Saka Caffe Gran Bar Top Selection this morning on my Cremina, using a Niche Zero grinder. The brew ratio was 17 gm in, 30 gm out. I like this blend the most when I pull it cool, which emphasizes the chocolate/hazelnut/orange sweetness of this coffee, which is wonderfully sweet without adding sugar. Mouthfeel was buttery thick. There's a long aftertaste of chocolate and almond. My probe is located near the back of the group, above the crease, and the start temperature was 185°F. In contrast, if I'm pulling a medium roast where about 202°F is an ideal brew temperature, my starting temperature on the outside of the group is 195°F, so I'm pulling this coffee about 10°F cooler. I will definitely be wanting more if anyone does a group buy. Yum!
Gary
LMWDP#308

cskorton

#66: Post by cskorton »

Sadly finished up both bags of Saka, so I ordered a kilo of Filicori Zecchini Delicato to fill the void. I had very good luck with it in the past when I visited Bologna a couple years ago.

Regarding roast levels on these Saka beans, has there bean any discussion on the roast profiles of each? Is one considered Vienna, Full City+, etc...?

slybarman

#67: Post by slybarman »

slybarman wrote:I've only tried GMC, haven't tried Lionshare. I dose the GMC at 18g, compared to 14 for the Saka and pull it quite a bit hotter.
LOL - I just found an empty bag from Lionshare in my cabinet and did a search on here and found out I DID in fact try lionshare a year or so ago and didn't remember it at all. Man, I really have to start keeping a notebook of tasting notes for myself.

drgary
Team HB

#68: Post by drgary »

There's a lot of pre-heating discussion about the Cafelat Robot. I'm using a very retro technique with Saka Caffe Top Selection, 100% arabica, updosing with 22 gm in, about 35 gm out and am pouring 197°F water into a portfilter that has not been preheated. I get the coffee equivalent of a rich chocolate brownie.

Ryan is generously offering another group buy opportunity, and this time I'm going to go for the all arabica Top Selection and the 20% robusta Gran Bar blend. Here's the link for the next group buy.

[FS] Saka Caffe Group Order V2
Gary
LMWDP#308

mathof

#69: Post by mathof »

IamOiman wrote:13-14g for a double, 8g for a single

I go for a 2:1 ratio usually
I cut my espresso teeth in coffee bars in Northern Italy, where the usual ratio is probably about 1:3. In Naples, I believe Ian is probably echoing the local formula. What I have never been offered, or seen advertised, in any part of Italy is a ristretto as it seems to be defined here in H-B (around 1:1 to 1:1.5). Has anyone else found such short shots in Italy?

drgary
Team HB

#70: Post by drgary »

Maybe my technique isn't retro, then. But I like the way it tastes.
Gary
LMWDP#308