Saka Caffè in the States - Page 57

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#561: Post by JohnB. »

The Ravello I bought last March was fruity but haven't had it since. Maybe they changed the blend??
LMWDP 267

jpender

#562: Post by jpender »

I had a few shots of Ravello from a small vac-sealed free sample that Cantina sent me. I pulled it 1:2 in 30s and it was sweet, delicate, and fruity. Sometime later when the 1kg bags became available I bought a bag and found it somewhat uninspiring. It was better pulled shorter but it didn't seem like quite the same thing as that sample. It worked well brewed as Turkish coffee, just differently. I have not tried it again since.

I've had similar experiences (and worse) with every coffee roaster I've ever tried. It occurs to me that maybe it's hard to source and roast great coffee consistently (and affordably).

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#563: Post by Milligan replying to jpender »

Mine was from a 1kg bag from the batch before last. I just recently got to it. I'll be able to get through the bag but it wasn't the profile I was hoping for.

jpender

#564: Post by jpender »

I totally understand as I felt the same way with my 1kg bag. It was kind of a relief to finish it.

You would have liked the sample that I got. Will it be like that next time?

Just curious: How many days past the roast date was your coffee when you received it?

nameisjoey

#565: Post by nameisjoey »

I gotta say, the Saka decaf is some of the best I've had. It is strange, in that given the high robusta content I thought for sure it would have a super thick crema like the caffeinated counterparts, but I did not find this was the case. I've had other decafs that have a bit more actually, so when I first pulled it I was a little bummed, as it appeared a bit stale. I did freeze it immediately upon receiving it and have had it frozen since. Once I took a sip though, I was blown away. Super chocolatey, like almost a nice chocolate syrup. Tons of sweetness. Also, it has incredible texture. Tons of weight on the tongue, similar to the caffeinated coffees from Saka. I really love it, tastes great straight up and also wonderful in a cappuccino. This is great stuff, consistently impressed by Saka!

OK31
Supporter ♡

#566: Post by OK31 »

Finally got close to dialing in gran bar and have to say it is impressive. The acidity/sourness wants to peak through but is immediately tamed by other flavours. Surprised and definitely will be going back. Could someone refresh my memory if we want it counted from the first drop or from pump on time? there's probably about at 5-10 second difference so I'm getting about 1:1.5 in 30 from first drop (acaia counted) vs about 40ish from pump start including a 2 on/2 off (LMLM) pre-brew.

also as far as volume most of you here suggest using a 14g in dose which I've followed but has anyone tried a larger say 17g with the same 1:1.5 or around there and were the results more potent? I haven't tried playing with it for fear of going through more than I have on hand so trying to gauge by other's thoughts and go from there.

nameisjoey

#567: Post by nameisjoey replying to OK31 »

Time should be counted at pump start, as brewing starts when water hits the coffee :)

I have done the 14g dose thing and yes it's tasty. Personally though, I do 18-21.5g in, and do a 1:1 ratio. Super yummy on its own and tastes incredible in a flat white or small latte. I'm usually in the 30-40 second range, so super slow flow rate. If you've ever seen how Vivace pulls their shots on Instagram, that's pretty much what I aim for.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#568: Post by dparrish »

Just received latest batch of Gran Bar from Cantina Coffee and it's Saka at their best-no rubber notes from the robusta, just wonderful, complex, hazelnut/chocolate with a bit of wine complexity. I tried a bit of Classic Bar this time around also..EXCELLENT. I've been afraid to try anything with more robusta, but based on the wonderful taste of Classic Bar, I'll have to try the Crema Bar next time. The robusta, when done right, really does add something special to the mix, not just in crema, but in flavor. The only downside is that I can't drink as much of it at one sitting due to the increased effects of caffeine :D

As a side note, bringing brewing temp down to 196 and using the new true preinfusion on my plumbed Linea Mini (after the update) makes for a REALLY smooth cup! Preinfusion of 10 seconds, 20g in, 1:1 ratio.
nameisjoey wrote:Crema Bar is fantastic and my favorite as well. I can't recommend that coffee enough for anyone wanting to try a classic Napoli style coffee. Gran Bar is close second but something about the Crema Bar just hits different.

Balthazar_B

#569: Post by Balthazar_B »

dparrish wrote: I've been afraid to try anything with more robusta, but based on the wonderful taste of Classic Bar, I'll have to try the Crema Bar next time. The robusta, when done right, really does add something special to the mix, not just in crema, but in flavor.
We've brewed nearly all of the various Saka blends at different times in the past, some quite a while back, so take the following FWIW, not as a rigorously scientific statement. But the last batch of Crema Bar Matt sent us recently has been the best of all the Saka we've had. It's simply out of this world.
The only downside is that I can't drink as much of it at one sitting due to the increased effects of caffeine :D
That's why I learned to brew singles. If you get the proper bits of equipment, you can do like I do and drink 8 gram singles to your heart's content. :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#570: Post by dparrish »

Balthazar_B wrote:We've brewed nearly all of the various Saka blends at different times in the past, some quite a while back, so take the following FWIW, not as a rigorously scientific statement. But the last batch of Crema Bar Matt sent us recently has been the best of all the Saka we've had. It's simply out of this world.

That's why I learned to brew singles. If you get the proper bits of equipment, you can do like I do and drink 8 gram singles to your heart's content. :P

Good advice indeed! Time to pull out the smaller LM baskets I have!