Saka Caffè in the States - Page 52

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#511: Post by chanty 77 »

I have to say after lowering the temp to 195°, it is a lot better, not near as bitter. Getting a thicker chocolately flavor. So I guess at this point, when I want a thicker, deeper, darker espresso--this will be on my "play list"

macal425

#512: Post by macal425 replying to chanty 77 »

While I can't talk for the Gran Bar, I am currently doing the Top Selection at 188F. Depending on the batch, 188F or 190F seems to work really well. The lower I dropped the temperature, the more sweetness and smooth Chocolate flavor came out. I'd try dropping the Gran Bar even lower and see if you're pleasantly surprised.

harris

#513: Post by harris »

I've been very happy pulling at 85*C to 87*C, depending on batch, for all the Saka beans.

bzarycranski

#514: Post by bzarycranski »

Pulling Gran Bar, TC and the decaf at 187 here. 16 in and 24 out.

Bill

jpender

#515: Post by jpender »

Finished off what I thought was the last of my Saka. Then I remembered I had a 250g bag of Espresso Bar that has been buried in the freezer for five months. I thought I didn't like the Espresso Bar after going through another 250g bag back then... but I love it now. Did it age in a positive way in my freezer? Or did my taste buds change? I don't understand coffee.

FWIW: 16g in, 22g out in 35-40s, no preinfusion. Boiling water in an unpreheated Robot equals about 92°C / 198°F start temperature.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#516: Post by OK31 »

Im finishing off a bag of espresso bar and have to say I'm not a big fan. Most recent shot earlier today was probably too long at 1:2 but went into an affogato where it was fine except the top was way to bitter. I'll take bitter over sour any day but not huge fan.

Excited to crack open the gran bar once this is all out.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#517: Post by dparrish »

I've tried brewing Gran Bar at lower temps-196. It helps with moderating bitterness from robusta. But I don't get chocolate. My point is that my first Saka batch of same coffee a little over a year ago was a different coffee even at higher temps. At my usual 201 it was very chocolately, nutty, and while not very sweet, not bitter or rubber tasting. I don't know what the process is for including robusta in a blend/miscela, but I'm wondering if pre-aging might make a difference. Mostly, I just think my first batch was roasted darker. Darker=more caramel notes.

jpender

#518: Post by jpender »

dparrish wrote:IMostly, I just think my first batch was roasted darker. Darker=more caramel notes.
I think the same happened with the Tafuri Positano that I bought. The small sample I originally received for free was incredibly chocolatey. It blew my socks off. When I ordered a whole bag it was roasted a lot lighter and was only mildly chocolatey. Instead of being incredible it was instead just sort of okay.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#519: Post by dparrish replying to jpender »

Exactly what I was trying to say. Of course we can't account for the variables....what beans are available, etc. I know almost nothing about roasting, as I've never attempted it myself. I just know that among the coffees I have in rotation, the flavors tend to change over time, even the blends. The one which has been most consistent for me is Espresso Vivace Vita. It has the chocolate/caramel in spades, but it lacks the hazelnut added by high quality robusta (although Vita/Dolce supposedly use Indian Malabaar, but an arabica version nowadays, I think).

When Saka is at its best, it has been my favorite, hands-down.

I'll go back to trying a lower temp, but what I found was that this required a coarser grind, which counters the quest for sweetness in a ristretto shot.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#520: Post by dparrish »

What I wonder is does this kind of coffee really benefit more from a lever with the ability to more slowly ramp up pressure...How many of you getting great results are using levers or profiling?