Saka Caffè in the States - Page 50

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IamOiman
Team HB

#491: Post by IamOiman »

lever, more lever, and additional levers.

I pull all shots, regardless of the machine, at 14-14.5 grams for a double and 8 grams for a single. Temperature I have no idea, I just adjust by taste
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

slybarman

#492: Post by slybarman »

It is disappointing you weren't able to get any body or crema on those shots Ryan.

Keep practicing.

:mrgreen:

Bows to the OG.

MrFrench

#493: Post by MrFrench »

Mmmm I just dove into my bag of gran bar. Yumm! The thick body is enough to keep you coming back. I did 18g in 27g out in my oem flair 58 hi flow basket. 25-30 seconds pre infused until the bottom filed, 9bar slight ramp at the end. Party. No real dial in...tasty, easy.

jpender

#494: Post by jpender »

bonjing wrote:Recipe, please!

Part of the appeal of Saka for me is that it's so easy to get shots that look like the ones in the photos @IamOiman posted. You don't need a "recipe". It's not the most complex coffee. It's not a fruit bomb. It's just rich, and velvety, and chocolatey. And super easy to pull.

chanty 77

#495: Post by chanty 77 »

jpender wrote: Part of the appeal of Saka for me is that it's so easy to get shots that look like the ones in the photos @IamOiman posted. You don't need a "recipe". It's not the most complex coffee. It's not a fruit bomb. It's just rich, and velvety, and chocolatey. And super easy to pull.
What I don't get (okay, a little stupid probably in this aspect) is how it vacillates so much from people using 14g up to 18g example on the Gran for a double basket. Maybe the lesser grams are for solely espresso shots. Maybe higher grams if used in milk drinks? I just don't get it. I drink nothing but cappuccinos--always used two double shots in about 4-5oz. steamed milk with some microfoam on top.

jpender

#496: Post by jpender »

I think that you can pull good shots with anything in the 14-18g range and people make choices about dose for a variety of reasons. Maybe you want more than what 14g can give you in a single shot or cup? The classic Italian shot is just 7-8g. I'd go crazy pulling shots that small!

I started out with 18g and then tried 16g and found it was just as satisfying and perhaps a little better balanced. Maybe I should drop down to 14g just to see but I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting. That thick crema that stands up on the spoon isn't some sort of party trick. It's how the coffee looks every time.

chanty 77

#497: Post by chanty 77 replying to jpender »

Thanks. Since I'm always doing two double shots--I like more in the cup to stand up to my 4-5oz. of steamed milk--so think I will try 17.5g first. I won't have a lot to work with as I ordered the 8.8oz to start in the event it wasn't my thing.

jpender

#498: Post by jpender »

8.8oz? Don't you mean 250g?

chanty 77

#499: Post by chanty 77 replying to jpender »

I just convert it down to ounces. 250g equals a little over 8.8oz.

jpender

#500: Post by jpender »

or 17 millislugs