Saka Caffè in the States - Page 49

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MrFrench

#481: Post by MrFrench »

I just Received an order of the Gran 1 kg, roasted June 21. I can't wait for the weekend to try it out in my flair 58! I have a flair classic at work, maybe I'll do a sneak peek. I also got the cappuccino cup that is fantastic!

chanty 77

#482: Post by chanty 77 »

nameisjoey wrote:Chanty, Gran Bar doesn't have much of an oily sheen. It will get a few drops of surface oil here and there as the bean rests but nothing crazy. Flavor wise it's in line with B&W's The Traditional but even more chocolatey, probably more body, and almost decadent fudge - like sweetness.

It's very good, when pulled ristretto and cool I don't detect much roastiness.

You may enjoy it, but it doesn't have any subtle fruitiness which I know you've come to enjoy.
You are such a smooth salesman! lol. I ended up buying the 8.8oz. to see how I like it. Now since this is a med-dark, would you suggest say 198° temp or lower?? Also, since it is will probably be about 2 weeks post roast when I get it--what would you suggest on the grams of beans. I'm always guessing on a new roast. Sometimes I get it right first try, other times, it's a sink shot. I'm thinking maybe around 17.5g? Thanks.

nameisjoey

#483: Post by nameisjoey replying to chanty 77 »

Haha, I actually work in sales - maybe it's starting to show in my personal life a bit too much :D

For sure 197-198 would be my suggested starting point. If it's roasty then drop even more.

You can definitely start with a 17.5g dose, I'd keep the grind tight so you get roughly 17.5g out as well. These coffees also do really well even down to 14g dose.

chanty 77

#484: Post by chanty 77 replying to nameisjoey »

Thanks for that! Will probably start at 198°. It so much depends on what blend/roast I use. Some have been as low as 16.5g (keep in mind, this is a double basket I use) to as high as 20g. I figure this will be about 14 days post roast when I use it--but since it is more of a dark probably than what I'm used to---even at 14 days pr--it will probably (I think?) not need as high grams. I have my grinder set finer already.

IamOiman
Team HB

#485: Post by IamOiman »

chanty 77 wrote:You are such a smooth salesman!
There's not much to say. When I am often asked why I like Saka I just send them pics (these are all Classic Bar or Crema Bar). I can get these results on most of my machines 8)

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

chanty 77

#486: Post by chanty 77 replying to IamOiman »

Mmmmmm, looks so thick & creamy.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#487: Post by baristainzmking replying to chanty 77 »

And it stands up so well with milk!
Julia

bonjing

#488: Post by bonjing »

IamOiman wrote:There's not much to say. When I am often asked why I like Saka I just send them pics (these are all Classic Bar or Crema Bar). I can get these results on most of my machines 8)
Recipe, please!

Jeff
Team HB

#489: Post by Jeff »

"Start with one exceedingly rare, exceedingly desirable, fully restored, classic lever machine..."

bonjing

#490: Post by bonjing replying to Jeff »

:shock: :lol: