Saka Caffè in the States - Page 42

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jpender

#411: Post by jpender »

thorax71 wrote:Can anyone give me an idea about how quickly these roasts deteriorate after opening (and whether freezing prolongs the usable life). It will take me a long time to get through a kg by myself !
I can't answer your question fully but I can give you an example.

I bought a 1kg bag. The time between roasting and when it arrived on my doorstep was 6 weeks (42 days). I opened the bag, divided it into four portions, and put them into the freezer. I've been drinking 3 double shots each morning @16g each so that's 48g per day. The original bag contained a little less than 950g of beans. So that works out to about 20 days worth of coffee. I'm on the last portion right now and if anything the coffee tastes better. Probably I've just got it dialed in well as I doubt that very much happens in the freezer in just a little over two weeks.

Almost all of the Saka coffee I've had has been consumed within 6 weeks of receiving it. Freezing for that length of time has worked well for me. I can't say how long an opened bag kept in a sealed container at room temperature would last.
★ Helpful

Advertisement
nameisjoey

#412: Post by nameisjoey »

slybarman wrote:Gran Bar FTW! Though I do really enjoy the Positano as well. Your phone/camera does much better macro detail than mine seems to. My foam has zero detail.

I am still dosing 14g. Have you noticed much difference going from 14g to 18g? What basket? 18g in a 18g VST was my go-to before buying a decent 14g IMS precision basket. The 14g basket that came with my v1 Bianca was not very good at all. The ones that come with the newer Bianca look much better.

I've been dosing 18g in my IMS basket on my breville barista touch. I can't say it's a huge difference. Just in general I prefer my milk drinks to be a 1:1 ristretto, for what it's worth. My 6oz drinks get a 18g 1:1 shot. My 8oz drinks get a 21-22g 1:1 shot. Maybe I've got some Australian in my blood somewhere? When I do straight shots I prefer a 1:1.5-2 just for the extra volume.

Nice tulip you poured there! I've got hearts down pretty good, can even do some rippling. But tulips are so difficult for me!

slybarman

#413: Post by slybarman replying to nameisjoey »

The Saka capp cups have pushed me to a slightly higher coffee to milk ratio compared to my old latte cups. I poured a latte the other day in one of my old cups and it tasted too milky to me now. Next stop cortada-ville I guess. :D

Tulips aren't hard but you have to learn to use the milk pour to "push" one blob toward the next. Do 3,4, or 5 little blobs then pull through them all after the last one. Probably a really bad explanation, but it will make sense after you have already figure it out. :lol: Rosetta's are slightly easier IMO because they are one continuous pour.

slybarman

#414: Post by slybarman »

Am I reading correct that the Gran Bar I received today was roasted May 2nd, not February 5th? If correct that would be 16 days ago.

CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#415: Post by CantinaCoffee replying to slybarman »

That's correct -- the dates are Euro style.... so 02/05 is May 2nd.

slybarman

#416: Post by slybarman replying to CantinaCoffee »

Thanks Matt. I though that was there case, but someone earlier in the thread had been skeptical I was getting Saka from you two weeks post roast.

nameisjoey

#417: Post by nameisjoey »

slybarman wrote:Am I reading correct that the Gran Bar I received today was roasted May 2nd, not February 5th? If correct that would be 16 days ago.

Wow, that's super fresh! I really sing even notice a different even when it's like 6 weeks past.

Advertisement
jpender

#418: Post by jpender »

Yeah, 16 days is great. I've had 20 day old Saka arrive on my doorstep.

slybarman wrote: ...someone earlier in the thread had been skeptical I was getting Saka from you two weeks post roast.
To be fair you were claiming 7-10 days, not 16. It's not impossible to get 7 day old coffee from Italy via Cantina but kind of unlikely. The bag I'm drinking right now arrived 42 days post roast.

By the way, those date codes can be tricky to read. Here's one of my bags as it appeared in my kitchen:

And here is the same bag in different lighting:

slybarman

#419: Post by slybarman »

:roll:

OK31
Supporter ♡

#420: Post by OK31 »

CantinaCoffee wrote:Thanks Gary -- for now I'm planning to carry the full line of Tafuri blends (but not the single origin coffees at this point). I'm ordering the Ravello and Positano in 250g and 1kg bags for the next batch, and I'll continue to order some 250g bags for the Amalfi, which not as many people have tried yet.
What's the deal with Gran Bar is that coming soon?