Saka Caffè in the States - Page 25

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
drH

#241: Post by drH »

Just got a batch of Gran Bar today. Fabulous. Nice and thick with chocolate. Sure it's a bit one dimensional, but what a dimension!

spacon4

#242: Post by spacon4 »

So I just got my grinder today and am ready to dial in some of my Saka Gran Bar and Crema Bar!!!

I realize there are NO set "recipes", but would be interested in some advice or feedback...

Grinder: Niche Zero
Machine: Breville Dual Boiler, modded for flow profiling, and ability to pre-infuse for any amount of time

Any specific ratio recommendations? Any specific Niche grind settings? Temperature?

And how much crema is too much?

Thanks!

B2uatk

#243: Post by B2uatk »

For gran bar I am doing - 15gm in - 30 out in 27 seconds...201 temp.

slybarman

#244: Post by slybarman »

For grand bar, I was pulling at 198 and dosing 14g and pulling a bit short of 2:1. More like 20-24g out. I like it a bit shorter for more sweetness.

coffeechan

#245: Post by coffeechan »

For the Saka fans here, is the roast darker than Hausbrandt Nonne (Gold/Beige bag) and Filicori Zecchini roasts? Filicori Zecchini is as dark as I probably want to go.

cyclezib

#246: Post by cyclezib »

For Crema Bar, I'm also using 14 grams and find extracting 19-20 grams tastes best to me.
Hard to know exactly what temp I'm using. The temperature strip on the brew head indicates 85 C = 185 F.

Monsterzero

#247: Post by Monsterzero »

May I ask, were did you source the Saka brand of coffee bean? I've been looking for a good Italian roast, here in the states, but only know of a few that carry a roast that I'd like. Thanks in advance!

learncoffee

#248: Post by learncoffee »

One of the site sponsor:
https://cantinacoffee.com/

drH

#249: Post by drH »

Just to add to the conversation, I'm working with gran bar: 14g in, 28g out in 28s on my Maximatic (so no idea of temperature but I flush a few seconds past the end of flash boiling).
It's a delicious chocolate and nut flavor with a heavy body.

raeyn

#250: Post by raeyn »

I have a question for those who have had the opportunity to try any of the Saka blends. I'm wondering, other than the obvious differences in the percentage of Robusta, is the roast the same across all the blends? For instance, if one were to get Gran Bar at 20% Robusta and Crema Bar at 60% Robusta, could one blend these to get the same Robusta percentages of the Espresso Bar and Classic Bar and have the same thing? Or are there other unique nuances to the different blends? I'm really curious to learn more! Hoping to order from Cantina to try and wanting to learn a little more before I do. :) Thanks so much for any info!