Saka Caffè in the States - Page 21

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#201: Post by baldheadracing »

Jeff wrote:"Cool", 2C, 4C, more, below your normal?

(Just trying to guess a starting point, relative to my "normal")
I don't know about the Top Selection, but for the Gran and Classic Bar I'm pulling at 88C/89C average temps. My usual medium-to-light roasts run from 93C to 96C. (WCE Scace procedure, declining temperature HX spring lever FWIW.)
★ Helpful

drgary
Team HB

#202: Post by drgary »

That's about right for me too, sometimes a bit lower = 82 - 87C/182 - 188F.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!
★ Helpful

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Balthazar_B

#203: Post by Balthazar_B »

bonjing wrote: I have barista pro 22 that I can try, similar to the espresso parts, yes? Recommend keeping the same dose 18g in in the 22 basket or should I up dose to start with?
Don't know that one. All I can tell you is that the baskets from VST, IMS, and Espresso Parts are all surprisingly different from each other in how the shot turns out. While some of it may be due to variances in basket geometry and maybe materials, my hunch is that it ultimately comes down to flow characteristics, which are primarily a factor of number and size of holes. That's what interacts with the bed of grains and affects dwell time, etc.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Dpablo

#204: Post by Dpablo »

I have been using the Gran Bar for a couple weeks now and these are my observations-
1. The slight oily sheen does not, somehow, create gunk in my grinder and has been fairly resistant to becoming rancid.
2. I grind about the same fineness as I do for any other espresso blend, and I find this very peculiar given how soft these beans are.
3. I tried a normal "3rd wave" recipe of 1:2, 18 grams, and 200 degrees Fahrenheit, and I hated it. The robusta takes center stage in this formulation.
4. I tried a very traditional doppio recipe of 1:3, 15 grams, and 200 degrees Fahrenheit, and I liked it. The cup reminded me of a warm whiskey with chocolate, hazelnut, and leather notes. I tried a demitasse of sugar and it actually lifted the cup. I expected a lot of obvious carbon-y roast notes like *$'s, but nothing was particularly obvious. Altogether, not something I look for regularly, but great for an Italian blend.
5. This blend excels in milk. The milk tastes perceptibly sweeter for some reason. I notice a very pronounced caramel note, like true "heat water and sugar on a stovetop" type caramel. It's truly fantastic.

Final thought- I like this blend for a quick and easy espresso and for milk drinks. It is not going to scratch my itch for anything adventurous and for straight espresso, I'll stick with Scandinavian style light roasts. Given its shelf life, I'm inclined to always have a bag of Saka on hand between experimental coffees.

bonjing
Supporter ♡

#205: Post by bonjing »

So today I pulled a much nicer shot, granted it was my first shot of the day. Lowered my pid to196F with a shower screen temp of 128F according to my harbor freight laser thermometer. Shot was nice a dark chocolate bitterness, not my favorite as I'm a milk chocolate type of guy, but much better than a nasty bitterness. Texture was nice, rich and creamy. I wish my FLAIR1 still worked properly, it would be pretty cool to watch the thermal flow of an espresso machine. Anyone have a thermal cam, they can record a video with 8) ?

Pid set to 196F, shower screen at 128F
Cold portafilter left out of machine
MignonXL set to about 4.5 back from zero, going to try a tad finer.
Baristapro 22 with 19.3g in 29g out about 40sec
Flow rate 8.7g sec, I forgot to set it to normal since playing with it last time.

Second:
Warm portafilter left in machine
still 196F, shower screen at 136F
19.6g in.
Forgot to take my scale and cup so unknown weight out with a 30sec pull.
Normal 10.3g sec flow.

Resulted in a pretty good shot. More balanced less dark chocolate bitterness.

Jeff
Team HB

#206: Post by Jeff »

All I can say is "hats off to Saka" and their blending/roasting expertise!

New-to-me 1Zpresso JX-Pro came from previous owner at 1.8, I set it at 1.5. 17 g of Gran Bar nearly overflowed a VST 18 and choked the 8-bar peak profile (declines at 1 bar every 10 seconds). Dropped to 14 g (hey, it's a classic Italian roast). 27.9 g in 39 seconds extraction, 49 seconds from pump on. 88°C as controlled in the basket by a DE1.

Lots of sweetness and nuts, too much bitterness for my preferences (likely from no dial-in and 1:2 starting ratio), but amazing results without dial-in of any reasonable sort. It speaks powerfully of Saka's ability to produce a coffee that performs well over a wide range.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes.