Saka Caffè in the States - Page 20

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mdmitch2
Supporter ♡

#191: Post by mdmitch2 »

Thanks to everyone who came through and ordered the 'lost coffee.' We sold all of it and I wired all the funds ($903) to Saka today, which should mostly cover their costs. They were extremely appreciative, and they look forward to future orders :)

Phip

#192: Post by Phip »

A huge heartfelt thanks to you, Matt, for managing the last round of the Saka group buy. I could never have kept track of all the details like you did and shipped so promptly. Nicely done!
Philip
LMWDP #687

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
bonjing
Supporter ♡

#193: Post by bonjing »

Looking for a little help pulling the Top Selection.

I set up my sychronika to 198*, ground pretty fine. It was a slow pull at "normal flow" no preinfusion. 18g in a vst18 with 36 out 2:1 and the shot was rich, sweet with coco. Pull time was over 35sec.

Second shot same thing just more bitter. But some sweetness came in when I added steam milk to it.

I've adjusted my XL to coarser, just a tad, and it seems to flow to fast with lots of channeling.

I've wdt, no wdt, wdt w/leveler, leveler only, tamp no tamp.

This seems to be my weekend routine. First shot shot is amazing, the following shots are not even close.

User avatar
drgary
Team HB

#194: Post by drgary »

The first shot is probably cooler. How are you measuring brew temperature?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

User avatar
Balthazar_B

#195: Post by Balthazar_B »

bonjing wrote:Looking for a little help pulling the Top Selection.

I set up my sychronika to 198*, ground pretty fine. It was a slow pull at "normal flow" no preinfusion. 18g in a vst18 with 36 out 2:1 and the shot was rich, sweet with coco. Pull time was over 35sec.

Second shot same thing just more bitter. But some sweetness came in when I added steam milk to it.

I've adjusted my XL to coarser, just a tad, and it seems to flow to fast with lots of channeling.

I've wdt, no wdt, wdt w/leveler, leveler only, tamp no tamp.

This seems to be my weekend routine. First shot shot is amazing, the following shots are not even close.
Could be because you're using a VST basket. Those things are damn finicky, and just don't do as well with coarser grinds in our experience.

You might try one of the Espresso Parts precision baskets, like this one:
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... 5538919611

Yow, I see that like everything else they've jumped in price due to post-Covid steel inflation (though they'll last for years if you take care of them). Their holes are smaller than VSTs and they're thus much more tolerant of coarse or variable grinds (such as from conical grinders). IMHO, they also work better with darker roasts such as Saka than do VSTs.

p.s. Just saw Dr. Gary's note. Yes, higher heat can add bitterness, as can overextraction. If you have a good IR thermometer, it would be interesting to measure the temperatures of your first and second/subsequent shots to see if or how much they differ. Of course, try to keep all the other variables (e.g., cup temperatures) the same.
- John

LMWDP # 577

bonjing
Supporter ♡

#196: Post by bonjing »

drgary wrote:The first shot is probably cooler. How are you measuring brew temperature?

Drgary

You are correct that my first pull is a bit cooler as I don't put the ports filter in when I first start the machine. I'll try to get a group head temp, next weekend when I make espresso, I have a cheapy harbor freight laser thermometer somewhere. As for temperature "accuracy" I've only been using the built in pid.
Balthazar_B wrote:Could be because you're using a VST basket. Those things are damn finicky, and just don't do as well with coarser grinds in our experience.

You might try one of the Espresso Parts precision baskets, like this one:
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... variant=<a href="tel:37555538919611">37555538919611</a>

Yow, I see that like everything else they've jumped in price due to post-Covid steel inflation (though they'll last for years if you take care of them). Their holes are smaller than VSTs and they're thus much more tolerant of coarse or variable grinds (such as from conical grinders). IMHO, they also work better with darker roasts such as Saka than do VSTs.

p.s. Just saw Dr. Gary's note. Yes, higher heat can add bitterness, as can overextraction. If you have a good IR thermometer, it would be interesting to measure the temperatures of your first and second/subsequent shots to see if or how much they differ. Of course, try to keep all the other variables (e.g., cup temperatures) the same.
I have barista pro 22 that I can try, similar to the espresso parts, yes? Recommend keeping the same dose 18g in in the 22 basket or should I up dose to start with?

User avatar
drgary
Team HB

#197: Post by drgary »

I find that temperature control for this coffee is key. I don't know your machine so take this with that caution. PID temperature will probably give you boiler temperature but not temperature in your brew chamber, which is what matters. You could also set the PID lower and wait for your machine to fully warm up. That will give you the right temperature and consistency. But a first shot that's always different from the others is usually because the brew chamber hasn't fully warmed up.

To test out the temperature theory, you could try brewing the coffee at a cooler temperature using another brew method where you are easily able to measure temperature.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
ojt

#198: Post by ojt »

Slightly tempted to order a bag of Top Selection (apparently the best choice for someone not really a dark roast fan?) because of all this ruckus :) I like to wander outside my comfort zone once in a while.
Osku

User avatar
drgary
Team HB

#199: Post by drgary »

It's a dark roast, very similar to the Gran Bar that has 20% robusta. I pull it cool and like it a lot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Jeff
Team HB

#200: Post by Jeff »

"Cool", 2C, 4C, more, below your normal?

(Just trying to guess a starting point, relative to my "normal")