Saka Caffè in the States - Page 15

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
EddyQ

#141: Post by EddyQ »

Crema Bar is my favorite, 2nd Gran Bar and third Top Select. I agree with Gary, the robusta is top quality and adds a great lasting flavor to both the Crema and Gran Bar. Top Select was also very good, but the long lasting flavor was replaced with a hint of burnt flavors.

It is amazing to me that all three of the Saka bags were very oily and obviously roasted past second crack yet they don't taste nearly as burnt and bitter as most coffees I have had when roasted this dark. They lack acidity, but the sweetness mixed with thick creamy caramel body is super.

I still have some green India robusta and I hope to soon run a few more roasts very dark with hopes to nail something close to as good as Saka. I am now certain my past attempts need a different approach. :shock:
LMWDP #671

drgary
Team HB

#142: Post by drgary »

I recently did a roast that came pretty close with an Indian arabica and will post a new thread and link it here. To my palate the Gran Bar Top Selection's "burnt" flavors are subtle too, like incense. Those go away when it's pulled cool and ristretto. Our goals may be slightly different because I'm not roasting robusta.

Added: Here's the new topic and a peek at my roast, which wasn't perfect but went in the right direction.

Learning to roast in the Neapolitan style

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

airmoses83 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#143: Post by airmoses83 (original poster) »

derylob wrote:I'm running low, almost done.
As am i time to order another 6 kg

CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#144: Post by CantinaCoffee »

Since Ryan isn't able to do a group buy right now, I'd be willing to manage that. My understanding is we need at least 6 kg to place an order. I'd like to get 2 bags, so we'd need at least 4 more bags to place an order. I have heavily discounted shipping rates, and will just bill you for the actual costs. DM me if you're interested.

This would be for US addresses only unless someone wants to cover the additional cost of international shipping (I can give shipping estimates if needed). My international shipping discount is about 70% with DHL and Fedex, so it may still be a relatively good deal.

drgary
Team HB

#145: Post by drgary »

Mitch, Ryan has conducted these group buys via our Buy/Sell forum. You could post the offering there and link it to this thread. I think you will get many participants.

[SOLD] Saka Caffe Group Order V2
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#146: Post by CantinaCoffee »

The 'google form' does seem like the way to go..... I'll set one up and post to the buy/sell forum.

CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#147: Post by CantinaCoffee »

Posted to the Buy Sell Forum: [GROUP BUY] SAKA Caffe Neapolitan Coffee

Here's a direct link to the google form: https://forms.gle/uyURcXQWrpK32PRW7

CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#148: Post by CantinaCoffee »

Does anyone know the Arabica / Robusta breakdown in the different Saka offerings? ::edited for clarity. See following post::

Also, has anyone tried the Espresso Bar or the Decaf? For the group buy, we have the most orders for Gran Bar, then Crema Bar, then Classic, and just a couple for Espresso Bar and Decaf. I'm especially curious about the Decaf, and whether that has decaf Robusta in it.... I'll ask Saka about that and report back.

IamOiman
Team HB

#149: Post by IamOiman »

I'll refresh people's minds

Top Selection is pure Arabica
Gran Bar is 80/20 Arabica/Robusta
Classic Bar is 60/40 Arabica/Robusta
Espresso Bar is 50/50 Arabica/Robusta
Crema Bar is 40/60 Arabica/Robusta

I don't know what their decaf is
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#150: Post by CantinaCoffee »

According to Saka, the decaf is 50% Arabica and 50% Robusta. I guess that means it probably has a bit more caffeine than the average decaf. I'm ordering a bag to try.

Side note, the group buy orders have slowed down (20 participants and about 50kg of coffee so far), so I'm planning to close the Group Buy at the end of the day MONDAY. I should also have a shipping quote from Saka by then.

***edited to close group buy on Monday***