Saka Caffè in the States - Page 14

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
IamOiman
Team HB

#131: Post by IamOiman »

And I took their course at Saka! Obtaining Italian Barista Certification

I am still a member, and if I do not pay the dues (60 euro) for the yearly fee normally you would need to retake the test if two or more years have gone unpaid. However since I am overseas I do not need to take the exam.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

drgary
Team HB

#132: Post by drgary »

Ryan, you've gone into Italian coffee in every way. Thank you for posting about your journey.

As a change of topic and a follow-up, I did finally try the 20% Robusta Gran Bar compared to the 100% Arabica Top Selection. I somewhat prefer the taste of the Gran Bar -- "somewhat" because I like Top Selection a lot. Unfortunately even a small amount of Robusta affects me adversely. It feels different than drinking more caffeine. I did a bit of online research and read that there are several additional stimulants in coffee in case one of those is getting to me. There may be something else in Robusta that I react to and first discovered this when trying Dutch Brothers coffee on a 2014 road trip. Dutch Brothers has lots of Robusta in it.

I pulled a 10 gm single of Gran Bar and enjoyed the additional anisette flavor over the Top Selection and it was slightly more creamy and thick. Then I felt too cranked up for the rest of the day, feeling differently than if I had had 3 doubles of Arabica. I tried a 8 gm single of 1/2 Gran Bar and 1/2 Top Selection and had a mild headache for hours. That's too bad. A good Robusta like the one used by Saka has very nice flavor and improves crema. The Top Selection is still a favorite in my rotation. I've started another thread to avoid derailing this one.

Do you have trouble tolerating Robusta?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Balthazar_B

#133: Post by Balthazar_B »

drgary wrote:Unfortunately even a small amount of Robusta affects me adversely. It feels different than drinking more caffeine. I did a bit of online research and read that there are several additional stimulants in coffee in case one of those is getting to me. There may be something else in Robusta that I react to and first discovered this when trying Dutch Brothers coffee on a 2014 road trip.
If you want to avoid the temptation of drinking that nasty Robusta blend, send it to me and I promise we'll dispose of it quickly! :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

slybarman

#134: Post by slybarman »

I am preferring the Grand Bar to the Classic (at least this go around).

I am getting sweeter flavors from the Grand Bar. The Classic is a bit on the bitter side for me this time, though I don't recall that last time.

cyclezib
Supporter ♡

#135: Post by cyclezib »

I'm about 3/4 thru my first bag of Grand Bar and looking forward to seeing how Top Selection tastes.
I've settled on a recipe that is 14 grams in and 18 grams extracted with a 6 second max pre-infusion at 1.2 bar.

slybarman

#136: Post by slybarman »

Anybody else run out of Saka?

:wink: :wink:

My freezer is bare.

Ryan - any plans to re-up?

GC7
Supporter ♡

#137: Post by GC7 »

Anyone in the Westchester NY area can come and pick up 5 150gm bags stored in my -20 degree deep freeze since the day I got my Grand Bar delivered.

It is not for me. I tried to get a bag dialed in. My Cartapani Cinquestelle was pleasant enough to reorder at some point but I prefer my home roasted comfort blends. The Saka was WAY too dark and oily for my tastes.

Come and get it!

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
derylob

#138: Post by derylob »

I'm running low, almost done.

cyclezib
Supporter ♡

#139: Post by cyclezib »

I have an unopened bag of Top Selection in my freezer that I'd like to trade for one of the other Saka roasts. Please let me know what you have?

drgary
Team HB

#140: Post by drgary »

Please respond to Michael via direct message.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!