Saka Caffè in the States - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
LVD

#11: Post by LVD »

IamOiman wrote:13-14g for a double, 8g for a single

I go for a 2:1 ratio usually
What temperature range do you usually go with? I'll be receiving the 80/20 blend from you tomorrow and I'm just looking for a starting point.

IamOiman
Team HB

#12: Post by IamOiman »

I will admit I really do not keep track of the temperature or measure it too often, but I can definitely say below 200F. Try 198F and tinker from there.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC »

Received mine today! Im excited to dial them in. Thanks again. To reiterate what was stated previously, it's really impressive to see this fresh roast date on these coffees. I think I'll dust off the Leva in the next day or two to keep it traditional.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

IamOiman
Team HB

#14: Post by IamOiman »

Keep in mind it should have been in your hands sooner than even now! I saw many of the bags were literally roasted this month, which I should say is quite impressive
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

TomC wrote:Received mine today! Im excited to dial them in. Thanks again. To reiterate what was stated previously, it's really impressive to see this fresh roast date on these coffees. I think I'll dust off the Leva in the next day or two to keep it traditional.
This might be a good one for your Caravel too. Mine should arrive on Friday.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#16: Post by TomC replying to drgary »

Funny you say, after nearly 2 months of waiting, I finally received my OEM Caravel indicator light for the base today from Italy.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

My Saka Top Selection arrived yesterday and I've tried two shots this morning. There was no roast date on the bag, but it wasn't stale. The better shot was the first one, using Ryan's recipe of 14 gm in, 28 gm out, 198°F. It was very smooth and mild and was best with 1/2 demitasse spoon of sugar. It was very similar to the Neapolitan Espresso blend by Mr. Espresso in Oakland, CA. I sensed a blended whole rather than distinct flavor notes, coffee that tasted like coffee. Ryan, is this what I should expect to taste? I reduced heat by 2°F and made it slightly more concentrated with 14 gm in and 26 gm out. That shot had a hint of bitterness and was not as smooth. The setup I used was my Conti Prestina, which pulls shots that are identical to a vintage Gaggia Internazionale, paired with a Niche Zero grinder. The grind was fine enough that the first shot required 30 sec preinfusion and a Fellini move (slightly re-cocking the lever). I didn't clock the run time but it started in drips and ended in a stream and lasted about 30 seconds. There was a moderate amount of crema and medium density mouthfeel.

Added: I bumped up temp one degree and pulled a 30 sec shot after 30 sec preinfusion. This tastes best with a scant half demitasse of sugar and has hints of flavor notes blended together - an orange-like to limoncello sweetness and acidity, a slight bitter top note between hazelnut and walnut, and a dominant aftertaste of brazil nut with just a hint of sweet fennel. The lingering aftertaste is quite nice, almost like an incense, and makes me want more. These tastes are subtle and many would not present themselves without the touch of sugar.

Ryan also encouraged me to try one of the blends with Robusta in it. I've hesitated to do so, because I don't react well to the caffeine jolt of quality Robusta, even though I enjoy the nutty flavor.

Gary
LMWDP#308

LVD

#18: Post by LVD »

On my bag the roast date was printed on that narrow, white strip on the very top of the bag. I got the Gran Bar (80/20 blend) and it was roasted on 14 Dec.

I also tried 2 shots so far, similar to your ratios and with similar results. My equipment is a Niche Zero and ECM Synchronika (no flow control). I used a 15g dose and 198F. The first shot was a 1.5 ratio and I also found that to be more bitter than my 1:2 shot. I aimed for a short extraction time of about 24-25 seconds just based on my experience with darker roasts. I'm gonna try some tweaks tomorrow to see if there's more to be had with it.

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

My white strip had no roast date.

Discerning flavors with a Conti Prestina is close to cheating. The declining pressure and temp are great at separating the flavor notes.
Gary
LMWDP#308

IamOiman
Team HB

#20: Post by IamOiman »

drgary wrote:Ryan, is this what I should expect to taste?
I am honestly not sure what Top Selection is like as I have not tried it. It could be the old Gran Bar but I am hesitant to say that without first trying it. For me it's pretty well mixed with maybe one flavor note sticking out among the other ones, usually caramel or cocoa.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612