Robusta Coffee For Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bcrdukes

#1: Post by bcrdukes »

Hi HB'ers,

Hope everyone is well and healthy.

I'm curious if any roasters out there exist who focus on espresso using Robusta beans? I know Robusta beans have earned a poor reputation for being of poor quality and what have you, but I'm certain a good quality Robusta exists out there. I love the jolt that you get out of a Robusta. Any leads on this? Thanks!

Regards,

Mike
LMWDP #685

PortentPorpoise

#2: Post by PortentPorpoise »

Len's Coffee does straight Robusta and Arabica/Robusta blends. I've been meaning to give them a try. There might be folks here that are familiar with their offerings.

Here's a link to their site:
https://lenscoffee.com

vze26m98

#3: Post by vze26m98 »

Paradise Roasters in Minnesota. Right now they have a fantastic Ecuadorian robusta on offer.

nameisjoey

#4: Post by nameisjoey »

Nicoletti Coffee has two offerings and both are a blend of both robusta and arabica at different ratios.

BaristaBob

#5: Post by BaristaBob »

I believe Barrington Coffee Roasters in Lee, Massachusetts and Jasuma in San Francisco sell some Robusta blends (Indian monsoon varieties). They are highly rated. I've tried them but Robusta is not for me...has an aftertaste that reminds me of artificial sweeteners vs. real sugar. Guess it's an acquired taste.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

cskorton

#6: Post by cskorton »

James Hoffman recently did a nice piece on a high quality robusta grower that intrigued me, so I'm interested to hear the results of this thread.

My preference is for higher quality Italian blends that use a good amount of robusta. I'd be interested to try some straight robusta if it's of really good quality.

An Italian blend that has really high robusta content is Saka. Not for the faint at heart and really shines in milk drinks.

MNate

#7: Post by MNate »

Yes, Paradise has been including some robusta in their offerings for awhile, including in at least one of their standard blends.

I'm not sure what the Catimor variety has of its robusta heritage. I have been seeing it around a lot. It's a hybrid of a hybrid, they say. Might be worth looking into as well, but many consider it an arabica so maybe it doesn't have any robusta traits left. Idk.

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

cskorton wrote:An Italian blend that has really high robusta content is Saka. Not for the faint at heart and really shines in milk drinks.
Saka has five blends with robusta content at 0%, 20%, 40%, 50%, and 60%. They use an Indian robusta, I believe. I've had some of the 60% robusta Saka variety and it's definitely buzzy. But so smooth and delicious.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

MNate wrote:Yes, Paradise has been including some robusta in their offerings for awhile, including in at least one of their standard blends.
I was just reading that their Classico has robusta. But when you look at the webpage for buying it they don't mention that. Is it the case that they used to add robusta to that blend? Or are they just not being transparent about it? I certainly didn't notice any extra caffeine edge when I've had that blend.

MNate

#10: Post by MNate replying to jpender »

Huh, that wasn't what I was thinking but now that I go to their website it and the Nuevo do say, unhelpfully, "Various." They seem to have fewer blends at the moment, which is probably a good downsizing. I think it was their Blacksmith blend I was thinking of that mentioned robusta. I think they do respond via twitter and might be helpful.