Robusta Coffee For Espresso - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
drgary
Team HB

#31: Post by drgary »

I wrote and asked them about whether any of their coffees has robusta. I received an answer that the Neapolitan is 10-15%. I was not told whether it was Neapolitan or Neapolitan Organic. The amount of robusta varies and their geographic sourcing of robusta also varies over the year. I would expect adjustment of the blend from time to time. I've visited this family company, and they are quality conscious and will happily answer such questions.

Mr. Espresso, old-school commercial roaster, and their take on the new coffee

TomC has also visited them.

Coffee Bar : Mr Espresso keeps its legacy and soul and carries it into the 3rd Wave.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Balthazar_B

#32: Post by Balthazar_B »

drgary wrote:I wrote and asked them about whether any of their coffees has robusta. I received an answer that the Neapolitan is 10-15%. I was not told whether it was Neapolitan or Neapolitan Organic.
Based on side-by-side comparisons of both coffees some time back -- as well as my (dim) memory of how they described their Organic Neapolitan -- the regular Neapolitan is most likely the one with the robusta. In addition to its more rustic character, it did bestow a pronounced zing unto the imbibers, if you know what I mean.
- John

LMWDP # 577

drgary
Team HB

#33: Post by drgary »

I got my Tuscan Espresso from Mr. Espresso yesterday, am still dialing in and like it. Since there's no robusta I won't describe it here other than to say it's a lot lighter than Saka and meets the site description as sweet chocolate, butterscotch, elegant, and a medium roast. Added: I'm very pleased with it.

I can clarify the roast date concern after checking with the company. It's one year prior to the "Use By" date. None of us would go by the "Use By" date, of course. As I expected and consistent with my previous experiences with them, it arrived fresh, only 8 days post-roast after two days of Priority Mail transit. I popped it into the freezer to keep it fresh.

Gary
LMWDP#308

bcrdukes (original poster)

#34: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

I just received my bag of Nicoletti Old School espresso. This is the most expensive bag of coffee I have ever purchased, especially when factoring in USD/CAD exchange.

Looking forward to dialing this in tomorrow morning; I am excited.

Note to self: Never buy and ship coffee from the US to Canada ever again.
LMWDP #685

sweaner

#35: Post by sweaner »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:I would get used to it. With global temperature increases it's all that will be available in the future, save for some hybrids we have to naturally select starting from square one.
So, global temperature increases can't possibly open up new growing regions? Ok, then...
Scott
LMWDP #248

YeetSkeeterson

#36: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

Given the requirements to grow good Arabica, do you have any examples?

drgary
Team HB

#37: Post by drgary »

Let's not derail the thread from recommending espresso containing Robusta.
Gary
LMWDP#308

bcrdukes (original poster)

#38: Post by bcrdukes (original poster) »

So just a friendly bump and report on the Nicoletti Old School Espresso.

So I've had it for a few weeks now and pulling shots on my Ponte Vecchio Export. It started out as quite interesting and delicious but fell flat on taste and flavour after a week or two. 2lbs is a lot of this stuff and overall, it's you can't do a whole lot to it. Admittedly, it's great with milk and if you want to push your luck, not bad when run through a Vietnamese phin filter with condensed milk.
LMWDP #685

groundsfortermination

#39: Post by groundsfortermination »

I feel silly for asking, but how do you know whether the roasted coffee you are buying consists of robusta or arabica beans? I only ever see information on country of origin, process, etc but never on the bean varietal (if that is even the right word)

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by ShotClock »

I noticed recently that greater goods in Austin have a single origin Robusta.

Here

I wasn't brave enough to try it, but the others i got have been pretty good.