Roast color consistency - natural process coffee beans

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DoubleR »

The coffee: Ethiopian single origin natural processed.

The concern: there are a significant amount of light colored beans in this batch of coffee. This has me concerned about the quality of the beans and/or the roast itself, and frankly, I'd rather toss the bag than have a sub-par coffee experience. The shots I've pulled so far have been sour, but I can't blame that solely on the beans. I haven't dialed it in completely yet.

The question: is it normal for natural processed beans to have a high amount of lighter colored beans or not? If not, then I'm guessing these are quakers or flaws in the roasting process signaling a low quality batch of coffee in this bag.
LMWDP #755

Bizmark

#2: Post by Bizmark »

The lighter beans could be "Quakers" that can occur with natural processed coffee, and are there because they were not screened by the roaster. If there are more than a few it's a subgrade roast. If there is an overall variation in color then the roaster did a crappy job (this is an SO, not a medley or some other blend). I agree that brewing including them would add under extracted tastes and make it impossible to dial in well.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

You don't get Quakers in washed coffees because they float and are very easy to separate using a wet process. It's harder to screen in green coffee these immature beans, but easy once roasted because they don't color. They taste a bit like peanut butter if you eat them, and won't ruin the roast but you can cull them if you like.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272