Resealing frozen coffee beans in Foodsaver bags

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
superr

#1: Post by superr »

I'd like to buy 1 kg of coffee beans and portion half of the beans in a large Foodsaver bag. Ideally I would keep this bag in the freezer and draw from it weekly, re-vacuuming/re-sealing the bag each time I open it.

Has anybody tried this before? I feel like there is risk of condensation and oxidation but this is one storage method where I don't end up with a ton of mason jars taking up space in the freezer.

GC7

#2: Post by GC7 »

There are numerous discussions of successful freezing methods if you search.

Many use mason jars.

I use 1 way valve bags.

I have used foodsaver bags too but prefer them to store green coffee.

Why not put your coffee in 4 bags and not have to reseal and risk condensation?

Advertisement
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee »

I routinely vac-seal one pound bags of coffee. We go through at least a pound of coffee per week at my house. During this period, I will pull a bag from the freezer every 2-3 days, open and remove enough beans to fill my Robur's mini-hopper, reseal the bag, and put it back in the freezer. The entire process only takes a minute or two. You don't need a "hard" vacuum; just hit "seal" when the bag is pulled firmly against the beans. I've never had any issues. Removing air from the bag seems to minimize condensation as well as oxidation.
John

astralbean

#4: Post by astralbean »

I've generally just vacuum sealed bags and then taken them out and used it throughout the week, or split it into smaller bags. E.g. if I'm only going to use 60g/day or so, vacuum seal in 120g bags and take one out every 2 days. I used to reseal them though, and didn't notice any problems with it.