Red Bird Espresso Blend 2019

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
HRC-E.B.

#1: Post by HRC-E.B. »

Hi,

This subject comes up from time to time, but since I'm given to understand that this blend may have evolved over the years, I'm not sure to what extent the old guidelines for extraction are still relevant.

For those of you currently using (or at least having recently used) Red Bird Espresso Blend, what extraction parameters work best for you?

This seems like a forgiving blend, as my first three shots with it, while attempting to dial in, were largely exempt from any major taste flaws, as opposed to undrinkable sink shots. However, something tells me that there's more to be had in terms of sweetness. (A few members used the term "snickers bar" to describe the taste; I'm not quite there.)

I'm using an 18g dose in an 18g VST on my Rocket HX, brewing at around 201-202 for a 1.8-2.0 brewing ratio in about 30 seconds at the moment. Beans are 7 days post roast. No objectionable, bitterness or sourness or acidity, but not much depth of flavor or sweetness.

Can I do better? How?

Vinny-L

#2: Post by Vinny-L »

I've been pulling redbird for a few years now, and I find that a dose of 19.5 grams at 199-200 with around 30 grams out at 35-40 seconds usually yields a great shot. When I go above 200 I find there is more bitterness than I like. On some occasions I will try 198.. I hope that's helpful.

JonF

#3: Post by JonF »

Redbird has been a favorite for a long time. I still try other coffees, but typically come back to one of the Redbird offerings. Little by little I came to prefer Brazil Sweet Blue from Redbird, but use the same brew parameters as I do for Redbird Espresso. Personally, I brew at 199 F. I typically used 21 grams coffee for 41 gram yield. I seem to like longer pulls, so go about 40-45 seconds.

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

I've been pulling it for 2 or 3 years. It was the first real coffee i got for learning espresso. I keep coming back to it. I love it in an americano and a latte / cap. I think it has a harshness as a straight shot that I don't really like.

I think people do their best when they try to describe flavors. I for one have never tasted a snickers bar in a coffee (but I may have said I have), just as I have never tasted candy sweetness in a straight shot. For me, Redbird E in the small cup tastes like coffee, with notes of nuts, caramel and chocolate with an edgy finish I would not describe as bitter or acidic.

I have pulled this coffee every which way, temps, doses, ratios, diff baskets. Pants on - lights out, pants off - lights on & vice versa. UberPrecision does not seem to be important with this coffee. It is one of my favorites.

But this is as good as it gets for me:
Coffee Rested 6-10 days. Breville Dual Boiler, 64mm flat burr grinder, Breville Double Basket, 198 degrees. 18g dose, 30g yield in 28-30 seconds @ 7 or 8 bar. No preinfusion.

Be safe out there.

HRC-E.B. (original poster)

#5: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) »

Thanks. That's helpful. If I condense all of the above, it sounds like I'm in the ballpark and could perhaps try to brew a wee bit cooler, which I'll try tomorrow morning.

#6: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) »

I did try slightly cooler brew temps, still pulling just shy of a 2:1 ratio (30g from an 18g dose) and got relatively similar taste notes.

I'd say the taste is pretty mild and unremarkable, but not in a bad way. It's pleasant, if not special. The most remarkable aspect of this coffee, to me, is that there are no obnoxious flaws (no bitterness, no excessive acidity, no bad aftertaste).

One may wish for something more colorful in terms of flavors, but if someone is willing to sacrifice outright fireworks in taste in exchange for a forgiving and viceless idioproof blend, this may be a winner.

Anyone knows the composition of the blend? Is there any robusta in it? (There are some small round beans in the blend, but I don't get the typical crema boost and extra caffeine jolt that robusta typically provides, and also none of the sometimes unpleasant aromas or flavors, all good things!)

lancealot

#7: Post by lancealot »

Cant answer any of that but i wanted to say that i just came home for a lunch shot. I ran out of coffee this morning and switched to redbird e. First shot came through in 37 seconds. It was great. So, fairly large sweet spot on this.

Kempshark

#8: Post by Kempshark »

Can't answer too much on the Red Bird Espresso (still a newbie and currently playing around with that one), but I can tell you that so far I much prefer the Red Bird Blue Jaguar...that is some tasty stuff for sure!!....preferred that much more than the regular Red Bird expressly so far.

#9: Post by HRC-E.B. (original poster) replying to Kempshark »

Care to elaborate on why? What differences do you find? What are your taste notes for each and how do you prep them?

5280grindz

#10: Post by 5280grindz »

Really enjoyed Red Bird Espresso so far. Bought a couple lbs. I get snickers for sure and it's very pleasant in milk. Pulling 18/30-32 @ 198F. Helen recommended 20/34 @ 201.

Dragonfly Crema Dolce, Commonwealth Ontology, Sweet Bloom Hometown, Onyx Geometry are my goto blends. Red Bird wIll defInitely be added to the list.