Red Bird Changes

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
eyemgh

#1: Post by eyemgh »

Red Bird certainly declined after Jeff sold it. Now though, it seems to have taken a step even further south. Anyone else notice this? My last RBE was thin and bright, not anything like the RBE I'm used to, even post-Jeff. My son got a huehuetenango that was soapy and burnt. I think this could be the end of the road.

If that's the case, what next??? I like predictable, not bright, and reasonable price. Thanks!

etout00

#2: Post by etout00 »

How long ago was RedBird Espresso sold (I hadn't even known)? Last time I bought it, it was much brighter than I remember...which perhaps is why I haven't ordered since.

I get that people enjoy citrus bright light roasted coffees...just not my preference at all; RBE was my go-to for years when buying in bulk.

Advertisement
chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

I'm not sure, but think it's been at least five+ years.

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Agreed, about 5 years.

Redbird used to be in the regular rotation. Not since the change. I dumped my entire last 7# order in the garbage. Stale coffee badly roasted.

I emailed to see what gives and was basically told to pound sand.

Quite a shame, really.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by sosha »

Jeff used to send chocolates with the coffee....one per pound.

I also stopped getting RedBird, and have found Flying Monkey from PTs Coffee a similar, possibly sweeter coffee. Love love love it.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

chanty 77

#6: Post by chanty 77 replying to sosha »

I ordered both the Flying Monkey & Flatlander--really enjoyed both. Problem with a lot of shells in the Flying Monkey. They were great in customer service about the issue. Just wondering if this is an issue with you at all? Thanks. Debating if I want to try them again cuz it was a very flavorful blend.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by sosha »

Not had any noticeable defects in the Flying Monkey. That being said, I rarely analyze beans with any scrutiny; I just grind and pull.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Advertisement
chanty 77

#8: Post by chanty 77 replying to sosha »

Trust me. I do not analyze my beans with much scrutiny at all. But I scoop my beans out by hand & couldn't help but notice a lot of shells, so hoping it was just an aberration cuz really enjoyed the flavors.

etout00

#9: Post by etout00 »

chipman wrote:I'm not sure, but think it's been at least five+ years.
That would explain it, last time I ordered a 5lb bag was 3 yrs ago and I didn't even know he sold the company. It was so bright and citrusy I had to force myself to finish the bag. Oh well, will have to find another chocolate style blend

chipman

#10: Post by chipman »

I've been drinking Josuma's espresso blend for awhile. Prices are comparable to Redbird. It may not fit into the latest light roast fad, but, to me it's been good.