Red Bird Changes - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
eyemgh (original poster)

#31: Post by eyemgh (original poster) »

I've spent more time with Northbound American Beauty and Prana.

The AB is brighter in general for sure. Mine needs a few more days, as some of that is just gas. I pulled a shot, stirred it like crazy, tasted it and tasted it 5 min later, and it was much more to my liking after sitting. I think in another few days, it'll be very good.

That said, Prana is an instant star. It is easy, low acid, thick mouth feel, rich and unctuous. If you want subtle florals, it ain't it. It is though what most liked about RBE during the Jeff era. It could be that my technique is just improving, but I think Prana is even better than RBE in its prime.

Climb14er

#32: Post by Climb14er »

I've been drinking Redbird Espresso through my Cremina 67 and French Press for years, during the time when Jeff owned the company and now when Helen and the crew are running it. In all these years, only had one batch that was 'off' and Helen promptly replaced it. Took two pounds on a trip recently, we visited family and they, huge coffee drinkers, loved the Espresso blend through the French Press. To each his or her own... but for us here in Denver, Redbird is still ... good to go. If I find them change, I will return to my previous boutique roasters. Enjoy whatever coffee you use!

Roco2019

#33: Post by Roco2019 »

Interesting to hear the different perspectives. I was about to order RBE but found a deal on 5# of Nossa Familia Teodoro, it'll be my first time trying it. I am still deciding on my rotation for inexpensive reliable, chocolatey flavors and also chocolate/fruit flavors from the west coast. Thanks for the tip about Tony's amd Northbound I plan on trying them next.
Ro
LMWDP #697

chanty 77

#34: Post by chanty 77 »

How would you describe Tony's Sugar Bee espresso? I know what the summary says on their website, but curious with people here who have actually tasted it. Thanks.

kris772
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by kris772 »

Just got a # of RB sweet brazil blue and would describe it as soft and smooth. Enjoyable. It is at 6 days now so I will probably freeze it tomorrow. Happy!.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

chanty 77

#36: Post by chanty 77 »

chanty 77 wrote:How would you describe Tony's Sugar Bee espresso? I know what the summary says on their website, but curious with people here who have actually tasted it. Thanks.
Anyone?? Thanks

kris772
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by kris772 replying to chanty 77 »

this is a Red Bird Coffee Roasters thread - maybe start a new thread for that?

chanty 77

#38: Post by chanty 77 replying to kris772 »

No worries. Only reason I brought it up was because other people throughout this thread have been recommending other roasters & blends including the Sugar Bee by Tony's coffee.

kris772
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by kris772 »

Need to put in another order to RB (finishing up Brazil Sweet Blue which I am enjoying), and am looking at Blue Jaguar. Thoughts? (from RB selection, please)(thanks!)

eyemgh (original poster)

#40: Post by eyemgh (original poster) »

My thoughts are...try someone else to see what you're missing. Northbound Prana has been excellent. I have Cimmaron Courthouse on the way. Tony's will follow that. My son, and a good friend, all of whom have been red bird only for 10+ years all finally bailed. The quality is no longer acceptable.