Red Bird Changes - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
spressomon

#21: Post by spressomon »

Tony's Sugar Bee Espresso is very good.
No Espresso = Depresso

eyemgh (original poster)

#22: Post by eyemgh (original poster) »

Agreed on the decaf = pseudo coffee, but Carmelitia comes with or sans caffeine. Still, probably Classico, but Carmelita is their #1 coffee. Curious as to how they stack up.

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by cafeIKE »

Tony's Classico has been in my rotation for about seven years. Never missed. I'll have to enquire about the Carmelita.

jfrescki

#24: Post by jfrescki »

I hadn't ordered Redbird espresso in years because I thought it was ashy even when Jeff owned it, however I still mix Sweet Blue with any of their Yirgacheffe offerings 50/50 and it's been great for all preparations. Although I have to admit my current order seems a bit off, but even my previous one from a month or two ago was fine.

+1 on Tony's
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

eyemgh (original poster)

#25: Post by eyemgh (original poster) »

jfrescki wrote:Although I have to admit my current order seems a bit off, but even my previous one from a month or two ago was fine.

+1 on Tony's
That was my experience too. My son and I are both trashing 5# of RBE and SO because it's so unenjoyable. He reached out to let them know that something was wrong, but crickets.

DaveB

#26: Post by DaveB »

Re Tony's, can anyone give a comparison / tasting notes between Classico and Sugar Bee?

I'm also very interested in trying NB's American Beauty.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

kris772
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by kris772 »

Moderator note: Merged to be in-context

edit: this was merged in w/o context: so, fleshed out a tad! :)

Just got a 2 day old bag (Red Bird Espresso) so I would expect even better in a few days. medium light bean roast. Very solid rich taste. A definite keeper for me.

I just read another thread here saying Jeff sold it years ago. A decade ago I use to buy 5lb bags of it (Red Bird Espresso) and freeze it after the 7 day point. How does it compare to me now? Dunno, lighter roast than I think I remember, but that was a LONG time ago, but this is added to my "definite keepers" list, and that is only at 2 days. I would expect ~7 to be even better.

That was about 18g into the grinder, about 25g brew, slow, almost ristretto, 25sec from first drip after 3/6sec pre-infusion. Thunk and medium tamp, no DWT, no "distribution". Sorry, I am "careless and sloppy" with this new-to-me machine as I can't seem to break it. Unless I flush too long! I just watch brew level and color so I don't get too carried away.

Always remember - peoples' tastes and preferences are VERY different!!! :)

EDIT: first one this AM was soft, smooth, very tangy and delicious. I want another! Now!
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

BodieZoffa

#28: Post by BodieZoffa »

As long as you get the expected end result it makes no difference what steps or coffee is used to get to that point. I've been pushing the espresso 'boundaries' for quite some time as it's what I like in the demitasse.

Haven't had Redbird in quite some time due to home roasting, but the company was my go-to back then. Of course their coffees might have changed as those doing the roasting as well as greens can/will change. Look at Black Cat from Intelligentsia... been many yrs since I used it, but it was quite good and then the 'reports' came out about the changes in it over a handful of yrs and some seemed to avoid it due to those perceived thoughts. Coffees change season to season, palates can change at times, etc. Definitely enjoy the Redbird as it clearly works for you. No single thing in this world will suit everyone!

kris772
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by kris772 »

Actually I find that the bean makes a big difference, as does the way (temperature profile) it was roasted. Back in the days I roasted my own and Dota Valley Pea was by far my fave. These days I am far too lazy and I don't think the folks here would take kindly to me puffing smoke out the window, but I seem to be able to find beans that make me happy. Those that don't just go to the trash. It doesn't matter if someone else loves it! Yeah, I remember Black Cat. but those were the days... But for any days you have to take a roasted bean, not for what it was, but for how it performs, in your setup, at the moment.

When I ordered the Redbird I had no idea that it had changed hands. Been a long time since I ordered! Didn't discover that until after I had tasted it and then went to this forum to post this and saw the other post. Glad I tried it first! Sometimes what we think colors incorrectly what is.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

cmin

#30: Post by cmin »

BodieZoffa wrote:As long as you get the expected end result it makes no difference what steps or coffee is used to get to that point. I've been pushing the espresso 'boundaries' for quite some time as it's what I like in the demitasse.

Haven't had Redbird in quite some time due to home roasting, but the company was my go-to back then. Of course their coffees might have changed as those doing the roasting as well as greens can/will change. Look at Black Cat from Intelligentsia... been many yrs since I used it, but it was quite good and then the 'reports' came out about the changes in it over a handful of yrs and some seemed to avoid it due to those perceived thoughts. Coffees change season to season, palates can change at times, etc. Definitely enjoy the Redbird as it clearly works for you. No single thing in this world will suit everyone!
oh I still remember that change with Black Cat. It went from being a rich chocolate bomb, to what tasted like an astringency and acidic mess lol. Like fermented fruit lol. I love fruit bombs but that was bad, and it was like that for years. Was so astringent lol. Even at their shops it's sucked in Chitown along with other stuff so I have no clue if they just had years of bad green crops? We all got pour over and espresso downtown one day and both were bad. Not near other shops in Chicago. And if I remember they were using an EK43 for pour over.

I'm always in Chitown and don't even bother with them now as I gave another try few years ago and gave up, still bad lol. Way too many other shops and roasters in that region that are leagues better, even lil breakfast places with their setups since their mainly using roasters from all over there.