Recommendations for dark roast to replace my beloved Scarlet City Warp Drive - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
oldskoolboarder

#51: Post by oldskoolboarder »

Me2 wrote:Found another East Bay roaster that's got that similar lucious mouthfeel as scarlet city. Mother Tongue Bittersweet. Med dark blend. More creme brûlée then chocolate up front. Darn good. 19/34/30/197F.
Glad I found this thread. BB HV is also my go to, LOVE that chocolate ristretto and always come back to it. I venture out to Ritual from time to time but nothing's as consistent at HV to me. I'm in Menlo Park and even Verve doesn't scratch the itch. Granted the best coffee locally (IMHO) is CoffeeBar from Tahoe. Come to think of it, I've never tried their beans so I'll add to my list. I'm upgrading my grinder/machine so I'll be experimenting anyways.

I saw mention of Mr. Espresso. TBH, I've never seen it for retail, only available at restaurants. I've had shots at Flour + Water (one of my fave SF restaurants) and they were VERY good.

Balthazar_B

#52: Post by Balthazar_B »

oldskoolboarder wrote: I saw mention of Mr. Espresso. TBH, I've never seen it for retail, only available at restaurants. I've had shots at Flour + Water (one of my fave SF restaurants) and they were VERY good.
Our local store seems not to be carrying it anymore (they were acquired by a local chain about a year ago and maybe they got around to rationalizing their coffee sources recently?). We have a s-load of coffee on hand, but will contact Mr. Espresso at some point to see who else may have it nearby. Their large restaurant distribution channel was a major revenue generator prior to Covid-19, and can only imagine how their business has been suffering since March. :(
- John

LMWDP # 577

MNate
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by MNate »

I might add Spyhouse's Orion Blend to your list of things to try. They do have 5# bags for $75 plus free ship which is quite a lot less than I expected (I wonder if they've finally decided to promote their online orders as they have already taken over the MPLS specialty coffee). I've never ordered it, actually, but have frequented the shops and it is a very consistent chocolate. And if the shops are consistent (amazing these days) I would think the beans are too. I like a bit more fruit... and find Olympia's Big Truck to be my favorite order but I wonder if Orion is more what you're looking for.

Ben C

#54: Post by Ben C »

Here's a list of places that sell Mr Espresso. I'm guessing the asterisks are places that sell bags.
https://mrespresso.com/places-to-taste-2/
I'm in Oakland and I've found online delivery pretty prompt. They're frustratingly lackadaisical about putting roast dates on their bags though. When I buy from Berkeley bowl it appears that there are only roast dates on some organic blends but I get no roast dates when I order online.

Maybe I was using the wrong descriptor when I called Mother Tongue acidic? I found it to have a distinct 3rd wave tartness the was unlike Scarlet City / Vivace.

I just ordered some mason jars so I can order 5 lbs of Josuma Malabar Gold and freeze the excess. Any thought on how that compares to Scarlet City / Vivace?

Balthazar_B

#55: Post by Balthazar_B »

Ben C wrote:.
I just ordered some mason jars so I can order 5 lbs of Josuma Malabar Gold and freeze the excess. Any thought on how that compares to Scarlet City / Vivace?
You'll find several reviews/discussions about Malabar Gold by searching the Coffees forum. Our experience is that it'll generate lots of crema and make a pleasant but non-complex milk drink with elevated caffeine. It's a pretty one-dimensional coffee, so if you think of the layered flavors in Scarlet City/Vivace blends as chords, Malabar Gold hits a single note from those chords quite heavily.

Because there'd been some discussion over the past month about Peets Espresso Forte -- which I had last tried over 20 years ago -- I was walking by one of their shops a couple weeks back and picked up half pounds of Forte and Major Dickason's just for the hell of it, and was a little gobsmacked to find they can brew up something vaguely reminiscent of Scarlet City...more than than most of the other pretenders to the throne we've tried lately. Now, they're still a couple cuts below and not that great as straight shots, but they weren't as awful in capps as our apprehension led us to expect. Guess it pays to keep an open mind. Though would still prefer Vivace, Lionshare, or Mr. Espresso ON -- all of which are more versatile and better crafted -- as a daily driver.
- John

LMWDP # 577

oldskoolboarder

#56: Post by oldskoolboarder »

Got some Mother Tongue and trying it w/ my new Vario. I figured a workable setting for Hayes Valley and trying to dial Mother Tongue and def not the same. Still haven't got it right (open to suggestions) and so far, not close to HV. 'Some' notes of chocolate but it's still not forward enough for me.

cccpu

#57: Post by cccpu »

Red Rooster 4&20 is a very nice layered coffee with a good amount of sweetness and complexity if you haven't already tried that.
LMWDP #583

oldskoolboarder

#58: Post by oldskoolboarder »

oldskoolboarder wrote:Got some Mother Tongue and trying it w/ my new Vario. I figured a workable setting for Hayes Valley and trying to dial Mother Tongue and def not the same. Still haven't got it right (open to suggestions) and so far, not close to HV. 'Some' notes of chocolate but it's still not forward enough for me.
Got it dialed in today. I can see the similarities to HVE. The chocolate notes are there, just not as strong as HVE. I still have a pref for HVE but I'll have to give Mother Tongue a few days more.

oldskoolboarder

#59: Post by oldskoolboarder »

Ben C wrote:Here's a list of places that sell Mr Espresso. I'm guessing the asterisks are places that sell bags.
https://mrespresso.com/places-to-taste-2/
I'm in Oakland and I've found online delivery pretty prompt. They're frustratingly lackadaisical about putting roast dates on their bags though. When I buy from Berkeley bowl it appears that there are only roast dates on some organic blends but I get no roast dates when I order online.

Maybe I was using the wrong descriptor when I called Mother Tongue acidic? I found it to have a distinct 3rd wave tartness the was unlike Scarlet City / Vivace.

Awesome! I've had Mr Espresso at various restaurants. I'm curious what tends to be the roast that is used commercially.