Recommendations for dark roast to replace my beloved Scarlet City Warp Drive - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
moseley (original poster)

#31: Post by moseley (original poster) »

For those trying out Espresso Vivace Vita, I'd be interested to hear how you've been pulling it.

For Warp Drive, I was pulling it at 203 degrees in a triple VST basket with 19.5 g in / 27 (ish) g out for cappuccinos. I ground it at a relatively high RPM with the EG-1 as that made the shot flow faster and I could increase the dose to compensate. The combination really punched me in the face with flavor.

I tried similar parameters with Vita and it was simply OK, but didn't blow me away. I experimented a bit with different ratios, but I didn't change the RPM of the EG-1 or mess with the temperature. I ran out, so I'm going to order another bag since that was Jen's recommendation. I want to give it a fair shake. But this next bag, I'd like to experiment a bit more, and am curious how other people are pulling it for consumption in milk.

wachuko

#32: Post by wachuko replying to moseley »

Wish I could tell you more... I do not know temp... but it is coming out delicious... I think that I can grind just a tad finer... but I only ordered one bag and spilled several grams by mistake... so I am not making any changes until it is gone.

Pardon the shaking... need to get a stand for the phone when taking the videos...

Machine: Londinium R
Coffee: Vivace Vita
18 grams in / 32 grams out
Pre-infusion set at 3.5 bar

Morning shot today...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#33: Post by moseley (original poster) »

That looks like a great shot!

Have you tried more ristretto pulls? If so, how did you find them?

Have you tried Warp Drive before? If so, how are your pulls comparing?

wachuko

#34: Post by wachuko replying to moseley »

For the last three days now I have been doing 18 in / 24 out with the Vivace Dolce and they have been delicious... This from a guy that would put 3-4 grams of sugar in the espresso... three days drinking it like that without a gram of sugar...

And I still see the Dolce closer to the Warp Drive than the Vita... the sweetness/caramel is in the Dolce, not the Vita...

And yes, I have had the Warp Drive many times in the past... Met Jen as well (have the photo with her).

I can't argue with what she said, but I still remember the Dolce tasting closer to the Warp Drive... specially after now having Vita and Dolce back to back in 18in / 24 out dose... Vita I must grind finer...

I like it a lot... but down to the last few shots of the last bag :cry:

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Me2

#35: Post by Me2 »

Irritated with Vivace and unlikely to order from them again, shipping prices aside. I'm having flashbacks to the movie Date Night where Steve Carell and Tina Fey walk into the trendy restaurant and the first thing out of the hostess' mouth is "your welcome".

Haven't pulled in a long time. Ask a simple question, how are they pulling shots lately (gravimetric) and get pointed to 7 year old articles in the learn section that have nothing to do with gravimetric extraction parameters. Makes me miss Scarlet City more. Jen was great helping maximize the cup.

What are people pulling with Vita for a moo milk based drink, latte/cap? 18/30 sub 30 secs. 1.5 ratio? Same as Dolce?

#36: Post by moseley (original poster) »

wachuko wrote:For the last three days now I have been doing 18 in / 24 out with the Vivace Dolce and they have been delicious... This from a guy that would put 3-4 grams of sugar in the espresso... three days drinking it like that without a gram of sugar...

And I still see the Dolce closer to the Warp Drive than the Vita... the sweetness/caramel is in the Dolce, not the Vita...
That's interesting to hear. Vita cuts through milk really well, which according to my notes is something I had problems with on Dolce. Jen also recommenced Vita for milk drinks. But maybe I'll try Dolce again and see if I can tweak the pulls to amp up the bitter / aggressiveness.

I just started my second bag of Vita and I've come to the conclusion I don't really like the flavor profile. I feel the acid / bitter balance is where I want it, as is the strength of the flavor in milk. The "bitter" flavors are just different from Warp Drive, and I don't really prefer them as much.

wachuko wrote:And yes, I have had the Warp Drive many times in the past... Met Jen as well (have the photo with her).

I can't argue with what she said, but I still remember the Dolce tasting closer to the Warp Drive... specially after now having Vita and Dolce back to back in 18in / 24 out dose...
Good to know. I'll put Dolce on my list to try again!

#37: Post by moseley (original poster) »

Me2 wrote:Irritated with Vivace and unlikely to order from them again, shipping prices aside. I'm having flashbacks to the movie Date Night where Steve Carell and Tina Fey walk into the trendy restaurant and the first thing out of the hostess' mouth is "your welcome".

Haven't pulled in a long time. Ask a simple question, how are they pulling shots lately (gravimetric) and get pointed to 7 year old articles in the learn section that have nothing to do with gravimetric extraction parameters. Makes me miss Scarlet City more. Jen was great helping maximize the cup.
Yikes, that sucks. Jen was definitely awesome with that. Didn't hurt that Warp Drive was so flexible. I found it pretty *hard* to get a sink shot with it.
Me2 wrote: What are people pulling with Vita for a moo milk based drink, latte/cap? 18/30 sub 30 secs. 1.5 ratio? Same as Dolce?
I almost exclusively do caps. With Warp Drive I did 19.5/30 sub 30 seconds. I found I needed a bit more of Vita to really cut through the milk like I expected from Warp Drive. So I've been doing 20/30 sub 30 seconds.

But like I said above, I'm not really loving the flavor I'm getting out of it at the moment. Warp Drive had some strong "dark bitter" flavors the way I pulled it, but there was sort of earthy caramel / brown sugar "tang" that came out. I get "dark bitter" flavors with Vita, but it is more flat, and I don't really get that sugary "tang".

Me2

#38: Post by Me2 »

Found another East Bay roaster that's got that similar lucious mouthfeel as scarlet city. Mother Tongue Bittersweet. Med dark blend. More creme brûlée then chocolate up front. Darn good. 19/34/30/197F.

DaveB

#39: Post by DaveB replying to Me2 »

Interesting. And the owner / roaster's name happens to be Jen! Looks like free shipping with no minimum. I wonder if it can be found at Berkeley Bowl (they sold Scarlet City).
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Me2

#40: Post by Me2 »

Both in Oakland too.